K-lined for attemting to join juped channel ?

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Mode

K-lined for attemting to join juped channel ?

Postby Mode » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:34 pm

Hi I have beened k-lined from the nl efnet server for trying to join a juped channel.
(Temporary K-line 10080 min. - excessive attempts joining juped channels (2003/8/19 15.56))
Since I don't know what a juped channel is and I only tried joining it 4 times and all it said about the channel was :- [2:55pm] ERROR > 437: Nick/channel is temporarily unavailable no mention of anything else and gave no warning of anything else. Plus I think the temp bann kinda excessive 10080 mins seems a long time
deww

Postby deww » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:42 pm

A juped channel is essentially a banned channel. "Only 4 times" is more than enough, although I guess the error message that gets displayed "Channel/Nick is temporarily unavailable" is a bit vague for people to really know to stop. Perhaps a more descriptive error message would've helped. :)
Jupitered -> Juped (Send to orbit? Anyone have the origin of this term? :P)
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:32 pm

deww wrote:<snip>
A long, long time ago, there was a person on IRC nicked Jupiter who used to generally create havoc by stealing people's nicks, and a lot worse. It used to be that someone's nick/server was "jupitered", which has been shortened to "juped".

Also, mode, there are usually *very* good reasons why channels are juped. The clients on juped channels are usually perceived to be abusive by the server admins.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
nitedog

Postby nitedog » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:51 pm

i suppose a point was made. the msg could be a touch more specific that the channel was juped. i mean, warez kiddies have no idea what most irc messages mean, since they are not all that clear!
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder

Postby leeh » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:47 pm

deww wrote:A juped channel is essentially a banned channel. "Only 4 times" is more than enough, although I guess the error message that gets displayed "Channel/Nick is temporarily unavailable" is a bit vague for people to really know to stop. Perhaps a more descriptive error message would've helped. :)
The numeric in question was (I presume, I wasnt around back then..) created for use on netsplits - ircnet will disallow users creating channels or using nicks which have split recently, thus the text in the numeric. Its also used on efnet during splits, which is why it still says temp.

I suppose you could alter the text as a result of a juped channel, im just not sure its worth it as a lot of clients/script format this kind of thing themselves anyway. :)