bottler!!!

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Gozem

Postby Gozem » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:18 pm

munky wrote: servers can keep newer (>=3.05) clients off by putting "no bottler clients please" in their motd
channels can keep them out by putting "-bottler" in the topic
Do i have to have that "please" in my rules? The word "please" does not fit in rules. You dont ask your users to apply to rules. They SHALL apply.
oper, irc.csbnet.se
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:30 pm

Gozem wrote:Do i have to have that "please" in my rules? The word "please" does not fit in rules. You dont ask your users to apply to rules. They SHALL apply.
not entirely sure, i'm just going off what is posted many times in the bottler forums
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
nitedog

Postby nitedog » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:41 pm

easier to do what i do. kline xdcc bots, and anything that remotly looks like it, on sight :D
lucy

Postby lucy » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:05 am

what does a bottler bot look like
MeSZ

Postby MeSZ » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:51 am

The "-bottler" in the topic NO LONGER works. The public source has been rewritten to ignore the -bottler in the topic. That is what 'BLotter' is, an addon for bottler that gives users more incentive on leeching and filters out the limitations that the Bottler program originally had.

Auriga / sig11: It is a close-up digital picture of marijuana, read my signature
g-13, more than a myth
wundr

Postby wundr » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:53 pm

Gozem wrote: Do i have to have that "please" in my rules? The word "please" does not fit in rules. You dont ask your users to apply to rules. They SHALL apply.
It's just common courtesy to use polite language. Even if you are the admin of a server that is provided for the users for free, if you are rude, demanding, and obnoxious to your users, they will be the same to you. Remember the golden rule...
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:00 pm

wundr wrote:
Gozem wrote: Do i have to have that "please" in my rules? The word "please" does not fit in rules. You dont ask your users to apply to rules. They SHALL apply.
It's just common courtesy to use polite language. Even if you are the admin of a server that is provided for the users for free, if you are rude, demanding, and obnoxious to your users, they will be the same to you. Remember the golden rule...
Those who have the gold make the rules? :D
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
Gozem

Postby Gozem » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:50 pm

wundr wrote:
No. You dont see any please in the lawbook.
oper, irc.csbnet.se
strikelight

Postby strikelight » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:13 am

For the record, for someone who has been around on EFNet for many years, it would appear that opers and admins seem to have forgotten what brought EFNet success and it's userbase... Now, while I don't recommend or condone it, EFNet was built on a file-trading userbase (I'll stay away from the 'w' word), and now to show its appreciation, many are trying to close the door on that.... If the feelings amongst the higher powers are in agreeance about this, then so be it, but be aware that doing so goes against the foundation of EFNet's success, and may lead to the fall of EFNet, and lead to the rise of other networks.

Just my 2 pennies..

Code: Select all

|_______|_________|
[/color]
- silence isn't golden when i'm holding it inside -
lucy

Postby lucy » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:04 am

strikelight wrote:For the record, for someone who has been around on EFNet for many years, it would appear that opers and admins seem to have forgotten what brought EFNet success and it's userbase... Now, while I don't recommend or condone it, EFNet was built on a file-trading userbase (I'll stay away from the 'w' word), and now to show its appreciation, many are trying to close the door on that.... If the feelings amongst the higher powers are in agreeance about this, then so be it, but be aware that doing so goes against the foundation of EFNet's success, and may lead to the fall of EFNet, and lead to the rise of other networks.

Just my 2 pennies..
i'm just curious why you're so sure thats the reason for efnet's success? i've been around a number of years too, and thats not why most of the people i know are here....
sig11

Postby sig11 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:10 am

You miss out on a whole lot by only hanging out in "file-trading" channels. In fact the only thing that keeps me on efnet is the people that I've talked to for the past 8-9 years. As long as I can remember those "file-trading" channels have always received less respect.
strikelight

Postby strikelight » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:02 am

lucy wrote:i'm just curious why you're so sure thats the reason for efnet's success? i've been around a number of years too, and thats not why most of the people i know are here....
Sure, you know people on irc that aren't here for the file-swapping aspect of EFNet, that's a given... But the population of EFNet is consumed by a greater number of people than just those that you know.

When the split happened between the europe servers and the us servers (IRCNet , EFNet) , IRCNet was leading the userbase race for quite a bit,
but file-trading groups based their operations on EFNet, for one reason or another, thus drawing users to EFNet...

While many users were/are drawn to EFNet for this interest, a large
portion of them also engage in actual chat *gasp* as a secondary interest.
But if it weren't for something on EFNet satisfying their primary interest,
they could have achieved that secondary objective on almost any other network.

Code: Select all

|_______|_________|
[/color]
- silence isn't golden when i'm holding it inside -