K-line

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

tpalshadow

K-line

Postby tpalshadow » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:26 am

Hi, I have never tried to get on this network before and immediately when I log in I get the following error.

You are banned from this server- Temporary K-line 14400 min. - Blacklisted Proxy found. Visit http://openrbl.org/dnsbl?i=12.218.230.246 for info. (2006/1/26 19.18)

I went to the link and had no idea what to do. Could someone please help?

Thanks
wundr

Re: K-line

Postby wundr » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:18 am

tpalshadow wrote:Hi, I have never tried to get on this network before and immediately when I log in I get the following error.

You are banned from this server- Temporary K-line 14400 min. - Blacklisted Proxy found. Visit http://openrbl.org/dnsbl?i=12.218.230.246 for info. (2006/1/26 19.18)

I went to the link and had no idea what to do. Could someone please help?

Thanks
On many EFNet servers, when someone connects to the server, it checks their IP against non-efnet-controlled databases that keep track of hosts that have been or could be used for abuse. Your IP was listed in some such databases. If you go to the web site listed in the ban message, and then click on "CompleteWhois CGI", it'll show you a list of databases and which ones you are banned on, and which you are not banned on. The red ones are the ones on which you are banned.

I checked your IP on those lists (doing the above method), and it seems your IP was added to those databases back in 2003 for having an open socks proxy (meaning that anyone can anonymously use your IP [and potentially cause problems]). If you haven't had that IP for that long, you can probably just ask to be removed from the databases on which you are listed. If you look at the left side of the page you get after clicking "CompleteWhois CGI", you'll see links that say "for delisting, click here". Click on that for the databases where you are listed (the red ones).

If you have had the same IP since 2003, and you haven't changed your system much, then you may still have the open proxy on your computer. You should take care of that before you ask to get your IP delisted (because after you get your IP delisted, they will check it again, and if the proxy is still running, you'll just get added to the database again).

Good luck!