cant connect to server as banned (newbie)

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Minty

cant connect to server as banned (newbie)

Postby Minty » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:15 am

Hello

ok I'm a newbie at IRC so please bear with me

I am banned and unable to connect to irc.servercentral.net as am getting
*** Error: Closing Link: 193.253.242.91 (*** Banned (cache))

first time round was able to connect, but now nothing, othert servers works just, can anyone help me ?

Thanks
lucy

Postby lucy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:29 am

if other efnet servers work just fine, when you get on irc, /stats p irc.severcentral.net and ask them whats up.

we have a lot of servers its no big deal not to be able to get on one.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:49 pm

I've found the reason most people can't connect to servers, once the technical issues have been resolved is that they are attempting to use the "Random" server. Random lists are almost out of date by the time they are released.

For the ubiquitous mIRC user, it's simple enough to just type: /help connection problems -- most technical issues and their solutions are there.

For the "Random" server selector, instead go to Alt-O | Connect --> Servers -- Select EFnet from the dropdown for the network, then check all the servers available from the Servers dropdown.

Many users are on a LAN, and you'd be surprised the misimpressions new users have of LAN's. The usual response to "Are you behind a router or firewall or on a LAN?" is either no, or what's a LAN. If you say Local Area Network, they think the internet as a whole is what you're talking about. The thing you have to ask is, "Are there more than one computer at your location?" If the answer is yes, then the router almost always blocks port 113 by default. The same is true for Windows-XP firewall installations (even though they'll tell you they are running a different firewall or no firewall).
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

[grammer police]"is there more than one computer", or "are there two or more computers"[/grammer police]
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:36 pm

Okay, gramma poh-lease: You are absolutely correct, and even claiming Brit gramma, I couldn't get away with it (Congress passes laws while Parliament pass laws) :mrgreen:

So, why did my avatar disappear?
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.
dexter

Postby dexter » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:16 pm

munky wrote:[grammer police]"is there more than one computer", or "are there two or more computers"[/grammer police]
Grammar maybe? :wink:
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:01 pm

i said i was grammar police, not spelling police
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
seiki

Postby seiki » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:15 pm

(*** Banned (cache))

this usually indicates an xline is catching your realname field.. I wish these error messages were more verbose and useful for the users.. but alas, wishing is for suckers..

try changing your gecos field and reconnecting.
jilles

Re: cant connect to server as banned (newbie)

Postby jilles » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 pm

Minty wrote:(*** Banned (cache))
This means you are reconnecting several times and K-lined (server ban), G-lined (network ban), X-lined (ban on realname, "Bad user info") or unauthorized (no auth block for your IP) every time.

The best thing to do is look in your scrollback or logs, the true reason should be in there several times.

Whatever you do, wait 5-10 minutes after getting that message, otherwise you will just be rejected again and the timeout will reset. Also, disable all kinds of autoreconnect.

Note that this limitation applies on a per-IP basis; if there are silly clients on your IP rapidly reconnecting you may not be able to get the true reason without root access (kill them or firewall the IRC server IP). This can also cause the rejection to last longer than the actual ban.