stats.efnet.org question

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

woody

stats.efnet.org question

Postby woody » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:16 am

stats.efnet.org is a great website and pretty much gives you just about every statistic you could think of.

I was wondering who runs it?
And, how does he/she get such accurate stats (Looking for a specific answer about the method used, if possible)? I already know it's running RRDTool (obviously). Does the ircd output the stats? Is it a service running that does? Or a client?
SMeK

Postby SMeK » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:50 pm

i believed its a hacked up ircd it takes all the various messages irc servers transmit to each other and uses a bit of maths to calculate the stats.
-( SMeK )-
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:47 pm

most of the information can be gathered (and calculated) by any bot/client by using commands such as /lusers, /stats and /links or /map.
some servers restrict different commands for users, so it may be a locally opered client with no kill privs.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
woody

Postby woody » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:58 pm

I understand that, but what if the bot/client is on server X and X netsplits from the network, you will then be losing or collecting false data depending on how you decided to handle that situation. I thought for sure whoever runs the stats site has implmeneted some plan that works around this type of 'single point of failure' for stats gathering?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:43 pm

nope

most servers don't split for very long, so it's rarely an issue
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.