"***Banned (cache)" for over a week?

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

"***Banned (cache)" for over a week?

Postby 3934 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:08 pm

Over a week ago i got myself banned from irc.prison.net, and i hold my hands up for that. I tried to enter a blacklisted channel on the server and was promptly kicked (why the server wasn't just deleted i'll never know).

However everytime i try to enter back into irc.prison.net (and only irc.prison.net, all other efnet servers are fine) i am met with the message "*** Banned (cache). I have left it for 3-4 days before re-trying to log in to prison.net, but still get the same message. I've even tried e-mailing the servers ops to find out the length of the ban but to no reply.

Fair enough, i was in the wrong initially, but all i would like now is how long my ban will last.
Beige

Postby Beige » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:59 pm

Typically a cached ban should only last for 5 minutes, and I believe prison.net is configured this way as well. Is it possible there's another client (e.g. a backgrounded process such as a bot or some other user on the same machine using the same IP) trying to reconnect constantly and thus keeping the ban in the cache?

It might be worth looking for an irc.prison.net oper with /stats p irc.prison.net and see if they can find the ban (or even just clear the reject cache).

Good luck!
Thomas M. Carlsson / Beige

Postby 3934 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:20 am

Thanks for the reply!
Ok, its now changed from "*** Banned (Cache)" to simply "*** Banned", and my mail to the ops was bounced back. I'll try the other ops, but any ideas what the new ban is?