Clueless ban

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Clueless ban

Postby 4306 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:09 pm

Hello,
I've searched the forums and all sorts of help possible, and I see you seem to get many complaints about random banning. Since that's due to blacklisting, I know it's a necessary evil, but sounds like I've come to an even worse kind of ban. :(
Any EFNet server I try to connect to (I repeat: any) will not let me in for some reason. Some say I'm banned, some say I'm D-Lined, others just won't connect. And I don't get any clues, no URLs for more info, not even the reason why I'm banned.
Problem is my IP is not dynamic. I'm behind a NAT with static IP on my ISP, so I can't seem to be able to do much about it. So, is there anything to be done for me?
Thanks in advance. :)
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:24 pm

have you tries http://chat.efnet.org?

if all else fails, you can get shells these days for $5-10 that you can run a BNC on
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.

Postby 4306 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:21 am

Yeah, but that's not exactly the cleanest solution available.
I don't know what a shell is... :oops:
I seem to have found a server that'll let me in now (some of the servers I tried were not even EFNet related! :P )
So thanks for the help :)
wundr

Postby wundr » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:08 pm

Alvren wrote:I don't know what a shell is... :oops:
A shell is a way to connect to and remotely use a unix-like server.

On IRC, many people use such accounts for rerouting (or 'bouncing') their connection to the IRC server through the remote unix-like server, so that the host/IP of the unix server shows up on IRC instead of the user's host/IP.