Banned for using mirc exploit

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

caitstih2

Banned for using mirc exploit

Postby caitstih2 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:49 am

Any idea how long I am banned from efnet for, for use of the mIRC exploit? I have no further intentions of using it again, and has been removed as of now.
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:44 am

This is not the place to ask about such things... but try this... firstly you shouldn't be using exploits on efnet... secondly, have you tried a different server (irc.efnet.net), and thirdly, most bans only last max of 14400 mins (i think) anyway, so just wait.
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:23 pm

HM2K wrote:most bans only last max of 14400 mins (i think) anyway, so just wait.
depends on the ban type and who set it

a lot of mirc exploiters have been getting glines, which i believe lasts for a day?
if it's a kline, it can be anywhere from 1 minute to whatever the max is set for the server (i believe servercentral is around 40000 minutes), or permanent
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Auriga

Re: Banned for using mirc exploit

Postby Auriga » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:13 pm

caitstih2 wrote:Any idea how long I am banned from efnet for, for use of the mIRC exploit? I have no further intentions of using it again, and has been removed as of now.
Id just like to add that testing out exploits on people on irc is a valid reason for getting a kline or gline.

Using an exploit is just like looting a store just because there is no power during a prolonged blackout.

WOuld you loot a store during a big blackout just because you can?
I would hope your anwser would be No .... because its not legal.

Exploiting other peoples machines in any way.. regardless if its on IRC or not if they do not belong to you is also not legal.

Just because you have some measure of anonimity, and because its a faceless crime does not make it legal.

Next time think about what you are doing, don't so something like this, and next time you wont get banned.

Lucky for you, the people who run EFnet are not police authorities.

Good luck.
Efnet Operator..
RIP *.qeast.net I'll miss you! :(
Auriga is qurves slave! (is a Forum moderator)
prefect

Postby prefect » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:59 pm

Auriga wrote: Id just like to add that testing out exploits on people on irc is a valid reason for getting a kline or gline.
Unless it's done by an oper, of course.
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:56 pm

prefect wrote:
Auriga wrote: Id just like to add that testing out exploits on people on irc is a valid reason for getting a kline or gline.
Unless it's done by an oper, of course.
If you find an oper doing this, and it was done to someone without consent of the individual doing it, contact that opers admin.

Opers are not allowed to use exploits leither.
Efnet Operator..
RIP *.qeast.net I'll miss you! :(
Auriga is qurves slave! (is a Forum moderator)