*clone* nicks

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

clonebx

*clone* nicks

Postby clonebx » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:23 pm

hi. i've noticed that some servers ban (or is it called 'jupe'?) *clone* nicks (efnet.xs4all.nl, irc.jealousy.com and maybe others too). isn't that a little silly? i mean, how retarded would someone have to be as to give their clones/drones/bots nicks that contain clone (*clone*!*@*).
i am aware that i can use plenty of other servers and that every server admin has the right to do whatever they like and ban certain isps/nicks/idents etc. but isn't it just a *little* stupid?
have a nice weekend.
clonebx
Beige

Re: *clone* nicks

Postby Beige » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:45 pm

clonebx wrote:hi. i've noticed that some servers ban (or is it called 'jupe'?) *clone* nicks (efnet.xs4all.nl, irc.jealousy.com and maybe others too). isn't that a little silly? i mean, how retarded would someone have to be as to give their clones/drones/bots nicks that contain clone (*clone*!*@*).
Agreed, on the face of it it seems silly, but it's the most likely explanation for why a server would have such a curious jupe. Some basic clone scripts seem to default to generating clone* nicknames, so it's likely someone has attempted to connect such redundant clients previously, and the jupe has either been left "just in case" or simply forgotten about.

Might make sense to /stats p for the servers in question, and ask the opers/admins for their thoughts on the matter (although to set your expectations, they probably have a good reason for retaining the jupe).
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:32 pm

some of my bots are called match *bot!*@*.* hehe, and sometimes people call clone bots, clone* for vanity, it just stops that... who knows...
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/