Got randomly G-lined

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

skeelo

Got randomly G-lined

Postby skeelo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:27 am

72.193.132.52- *** Found your hostname
irc.blessed.net- *** G-lined
irc.blessed.net- *** Banned mass inviters are not welcome (2007/3/30 16.23)

What is the reason for this? I have never done any mass inviting, ever.
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:32 am

Two things possible here:

1) There's a bot running on your machine. You should run a virus scan and something like spybot.

2) Your client itself was hacked.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
skeelo

Postby skeelo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:34 pm

Entirely not possible. I run very high security, resident virus shield and spyware shield along with Barricade router with only a few select ports open.

Furthmore my host is a bounce off of a FreeBSD shell, theres no way anyone could get into my machine.

I did a viruscan/ spyware scan just to be sure and it turned up nothing.

How can I get the G-line removed.
wundr

Postby wundr » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:26 pm

skeelo wrote:Entirely not possible. I run very high security, resident virus shield and spyware shield along with Barricade router with only a few select ports open.

Furthmore my host is a bounce off of a FreeBSD shell, theres no way anyone could get into my machine.

I did a viruscan/ spyware scan just to be sure and it turned up nothing.

How can I get the G-line removed.
If you are connecting to EFNet through a BNC, then your "host", as far as the IRC server knows, is the machine from which the connection to the IRC server is coming - in this case, the machine that the BNC is running on. That means that YOU aren't banned, necessarily, but rather the BNC machine is banned. Probably, another user on that machine was doing some bad things and got the BNC machine banned from EFNet.

You could try connecting to EFNet from your real host instead of the BNC and you will probably be able to connect fine.
deww

Postby deww » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:47 pm

And sometimes... you are in the wrong place at the wrong time coupled with the possibility of what wundr has said. It isn't always directed at you, but you happen to be there.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:15 pm

EFnet glines generally time out in 24 hours or so. if you don't want to wait that long, get online from another host of have a friend give the hostname to some opers to request the gline be removed manually.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.