need help am a part of a channel that gets spammed by aol us

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

kreepy

need help am a part of a channel that gets spammed by aol us

Postby kreepy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:38 am

need help am a part of a efnet channel that gets spammed by irc users. we banned aol.com to get rid of them now when they spam the channel they are using aol.com but their ip address does not say aol.com but rather a numerical ip address. i can say they are from aol.com by doing a /dns on the user.

they join the channel, do nick changes, then spam meaningless drivel into the channel before getting kicked out.

i have not checked though i am planning to the irc server that they use so i can report them to the irc servers ircops through doing a /motd irc.servername.com. i was upset since i would have to forward logs of both the channel spamming and me doing a /dns on the irc spam bots to show that they are from aol and the reason for this is i'm worried the servers ircops would ignore the information inside a log.

after they are kicked they either log off of irc or change their nicks so i will have to catch them when they are in the channel before finding out their server. they always return though. this has been going on for years. i'd really like to know what they do and i feel bad that there are servers that allow this type of thing to happen.
doug
Site Admin

Re: need help am a part of a channel that gets spammed by aol us

Postby doug » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:45 am

You can set bans by IP block too. Ex: *@10.0.0.0/16

Here's a Complete List of AOL IP addresses. With maxbans set to 100, you should have no problem banning them all.

Enjoy!
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:42 pm

do all servers support cidr bans? i thought there were a couple that still did not, but i could be wrong.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
jilles

Postby jilles » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:15 pm

munky wrote:do all servers support cidr bans? i thought there were a couple that still did not, but i could be wrong.
I just tried this on the two csircd servers, and they both support it. Thanks moogle :)
Ratbox and hybrid(7) have both supported this for a long time.