Banned for 1440 minutes.

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

The__Hermit__1971

Banned for 1440 minutes.

Postby The__Hermit__1971 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:05 pm

I receive the message mentioned above everytime I try to connect to a channel. It also mention something about a blacklisted proxy. Can anyone tell me why is this happening and how to avoid it? Any help will be very appreciated.
phisher1

Re: Banned for 1440 minutes.

Postby phisher1 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:57 pm

The__Hermit__1971 wrote:I receive the message mentioned above everytime I try to connect to a channel. It also mention something about a blacklisted proxy. Can anyone tell me why is this happening and how to avoid it? Any help will be very appreciated.
The reason you are seeing that message is that your IP address is listed on one or more DNS Black Lists or RBLs. RBLs are used to keep track of known abusive machines... machines that may have an open mail proxy or some other form of proxy allowing anonymous access through the machine to send spam, connect to IRC, connect to websites etc.

It is highly likely that either your machine is infected with some sort of trojan or virus OR someone before you that had the same IP address is infected. In either case, if you read the message when you get kicked or, from the looks of the subject of your post, banned from the server, it normally includes the name of the RBL server and a URL where your IP address is listed. Most RBLs have a 'Request De-Listing' feature which allows you to request that your IP address be rescanned or tested and if it finds no open relays, proxys etc, your IP address be removed from the list.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:31 pm

you are behind a NATted IP address, and someone else on the same network has an infection, which is causing everyone on your network to be affected.

http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=67 ... mit=Lookup
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
phisher1

Postby phisher1 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Having the ability to view user's IP addresses has its advantages. :?
r0nbo

Postby r0nbo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Im getting the same thing. I thought it might be my router but with it out of the line Im getting the same banned reply. Ive scanned for trojans and nothing. I went to spanhaus the they said Im NOT in their banlists. I have no trouble connecting to Freenode or Usenet so it must be the particular IP number I got last time I reset the modem getting the router working so Ive tried to get another one and failed so far. I put this IP number in Mirc and told it to use it and it JUST connected for the first time in days so either that number finally made it to the unban list or I looked at it angrily and scared it into working.