info on a K:line

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

saotomek

info on a K:line

Postby saotomek » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:42 pm

A few weeks ago I got deployed to Iraq. And for the first 2-3 weeks I was able to use Chatzilla in order to connect to efnet with no issues. One day I got the following message when attempting to connect:

Code: Select all

[01:59]	[INFO]	Network view for “efnet” opened.
	[INFO]	Attempting to connect to “efnet”. Use /cancel to abort.
	[INFO]	Connecting to irc://efnet/ (irc://irc.prison.net/)… [Cancel]
	===	*** Processing connection to irc.Prison.NET
	===	*** Looking up your hostname...
	===	*** Checking Ident
	===	*** Couldn't look up your hostname
	===	*** No Ident response
	===	*** Banned AUTO-CHAN (2008/8/8 14.32)
	[ERROR]	Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (*** Banned )
	[ERROR]	Connection to irc://efnet/ (irc://irc.prison.net/) closed. [Help] Reconnecting in 15 seconds. [Cancel]
I have no idea why I was banned, and this only affects me when using Chatzilla, I have no problems using Mibbit or mIRC.

I recently went to the Chatzilla chan and they told me(hope this log can be allowed as it is part of the chain of events):

<Silver>	You can try opening ChatZilla's preferences, selecting efnet on the left and changing the "Username" on the right from "chatzilla" to something random.
	<Glenjamin>	quakenet used to g-line if you were using chatzilla as a username, dunno if they still do
	<Silver>	It has been known for networks to ban anyone using certain usernames (note: not the same as nickname). It's fucking stupid, but they have done it on some networks in the past.
As it turns out my current nick in Chatzilla's settings doesn't match my username. I changed them to match and tried again to connect. THIS time I got this message:

[02:11]	[INFO]	Connecting to irc://efnet/ (irc://irc.prison.net/)… [Cancel]
	[ERROR]	Closing Link: 213.255.230.132 (*** Banned (cache))
As of right now I''m on mIRC and have no problems with the server(vel.net) I'm on. Is it just the server choices that Chatzilla uses(prison.net(primary) and magic.ca(has hardly ever worked))?
munky
Site Admin

Re: info on a K:line

Postby munky » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:57 pm

you'd have to ask a prison oper to get the ban reason. i don't see your IP listed in any common blacklist, so i can't readily give you an answer myself.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Handle With Care

Re: info on a K:line

Postby Handle With Care » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:09 am

It has nothing to do whether you're using mIRC or Chatzilla or Mibbit's CGI. The key phrase appears in your kline message: === *** Banned AUTO-CHAN (2008/8/8 14.32)

That would appear if you attempted to join a channel the server has blocked.

The IP you give for your second attempt, 213.255.230.132, is an Iraq ISP, Apolytos (OIFNET Inc). It's possible they have IRC blocked. I know for many years the military has had IRC blocked "for security reasons," despite during the initial invasion of Iraq, I saw people in headquarters in either Kuwait or Qatar using IRC during a rare filming there.

Be well in your deployment and return safe.
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.