I can join channel but.....!

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

kabukster

I can join channel but.....!

Postby kabukster » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:45 pm

hello over one,

I have used web chat for quite some time by now whitout problems! All of a sudden (happend few weeks ago) when joining any channel through the following link : http://chat.efnet.org/ or using this site to acces channel my ie browser tells me the page is still loading ... loading and contineu to load it never ends !!! To mee it seems serious lagg, but iam on adsl2+ whit verry fast acces to other websites. I mean , iam not thrown on smallband or mediumband by my isp !!

Have tried both IE 7, FF3 (3.0.4) ! Also tried to clean cache , cookies etc... !!

Again , this phenomen ocured just an few weeks ago !! I suspected my computer vista ultimate x64 system beeing faulty, but i have the same problem on an fresh installed xp pro x86 machine !!!

i have discussed this whit lampee, and duck on some efnet support channels but they dont have any clue aswell why this happends !!

So, iam about to give up on irc / webchat!!

Many thanks in advance,

kabukster,
munky
Site Admin

Re: I can join channel but.....!

Postby munky » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:23 pm

so you just stopped by to let us know you're leaving, then?
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
kabukster

Postby kabukster » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:12 pm

munky wrote:so you just stopped by to let us know you're leaving, then?
*sign* Have i started a thread for this bitching !? Realy, wots your major malfuction ?

Have you read the whole thread , and not just that part where i say "iam about to give up on irc" meaning, i dont have any sollution to resolve that problem which i mentioned way before that statement !!

rgds,
kabukster,
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:09 pm

does the problem exist for other webchats, or only chat.efnet.org?
have you tried http://webchat.xs4all.nl/

have you checked packet dumps to see what sort of traffic is happening when you load chat.efnet.org? any unusual reset packets? i recall there were some ISPs that reset IRC connections for a while because of virus/trojans using IRC as a medium.
In God we trust,
kabukster

Postby kabukster » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:14 pm

hi munkey,
munky wrote:does the problem exist for other webchats, or only chat.efnet.org?
have you tried http://webchat.xs4all.nl/
Just tried this link aswell, and it keeps loading the url aswell when trying to loggin into a channel untill it times out i guess !!

However, when i use webchat through Java client (jre 6 update 7 mine) it works whitout any delays , laggs wot so ever = superfast :shock: !!
munky wrote: have you checked packet dumps to see what sort of traffic is happening when you load chat.efnet.org? any unusual reset packets? i recall there were some ISPs that reset IRC connections for a while because of virus/trojans using IRC as a medium.
checked packet dumps !? Thats new to me... i like to do that if i knew how and wot the advantages are by doing so!
If it concers trojans/virusses i think iam safe (as far i can tell). Currently i have 2 different av installed + Windows Defender x64 + software firewall !

Thank you munky for sharing your constructive, helpfull view on this matter :wink: .

greetings,

kabukster,
kabukster

Postby kabukster » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 pm

uhm.. :?:

How do i proceed from here on now ? I still have these long hang overs when in log in channels !!!

rgds,

kabukster,
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:12 pm

just for fun, try turning all the AV / firewalls off and test.
In God we trust,
kabukster

Postby kabukster » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:25 am

munky wrote:just for fun, try turning all the AV / firewalls off and test.

Hey,

I have thought of that too, long before i signed up here and started this thread! Turning everything off doesnt seem to help much either !!

Remember, an couple posts back when i told you i have tried to reproduce this behaviour on another xp pro machine!

On that xp system everything wos turned of ! No firewall, no av installed, nor any other security measures are setup on that rigg. Since that system is mainly used to work offline whit anyway (disconnected from the net most of the time)... Never the less , i got the same irc issue aswell on that xp system!!?

rgds,
kabukster,
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 pm

seeing as it works for several hundred other XP machines that use it every week, I would have to say it is something unique to your network.

at this point, i'm just guessing as i don't have access to your network to confirm. my guess is that you have some sort of transparent proxy on your network that is attempting to download the page to forward on to you. however this does not work with cgi based web chats (where the IRC connection is made from the server, not from the client machine like the java chat clients).
In God we trust,
kabukster

Postby kabukster » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:02 am

@munky,

Well... i cant explain why.. But, all of a sudden i can log in a channel whitout an problem .. Only when i turn of webshielding from one of my av (which i have done before iam sure but whitout succes back then!!!).. Perhaps, my av did upgrade and fixed some issues about the webshielding not beeing properly stopped,paused = disabled !! Still, now it works only when i disable webshielding though :roll:

However, i woud have to check my other xp system that hasnt even got 1 av installed no firewall turned on though!! Still, i had the same issue!! Which is why i still think my av isnt the core of the problem !!!

It coud be verry well be that which you are thinking.. Oh well... At least i have found some work arround !!

Thanks though for your insight into this .

rgds,
kabukster