Phone as modem always results in K-line

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Quince

Phone as modem always results in K-line

Postby Quince » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Many times I have no choice but to use my Blackberry as a modem. I always get K-lined immediately, with a link to Spamhaus. I remove the entry from Spamhaus, there's a long-ass delay before the network notices it's been unlisted, then next time I connect, again the same thing! What's going on? It makes no sense that all RIM IP addresses would be in Spamhaus lists, so EFnet must be thinking that RIM IPs are proxies or something,, when it's just a gateway, so it adds to Spamhaus. I don't have another explanation. PLEASE correct this since those of us stuck with tethered phones to access the internet would like to be in EFnet as well. It is not fair that other people can correct directly without problem, whereas we have to go to the trouble of using BNC accounts because you have misconfigured things to K-line us when we are not causing any problem.
munky
Site Admin

Re: Phone as modem always results in K-line

Postby munky » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:10 pm

No one at EFnet runs spamhaus. Most often the case is that someone gets infected with a virus and starts spewing spam, and gets the IP blocked. Since the IP is shared by a few dozen or more users (almost all cell networks use NAT for their customers) are affected by this. Most users don't notice because they only use their cell network for browsing or email, which is not affected by the spamhaus listing.

Try http://rbl.efnetrbl.org/FAQ/NAT-SharedIP/WhatCanIDo?
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.