g-lined for complaining to chanfix

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

madelefant

g-lined for complaining to chanfix

Postby madelefant » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:21 am

I have been a member of a particular irc channel for 14 years. It is one of the longest running channels I know of. On the order of a year or go a group of people started joining and engaging in flooding, attempted takeovers, successful takeovers as well and frequent denial of service attacks on anyone who didn't cooperate. The most recent "takeover" was facilitated with the cooperation of a few channel members of moderate tenure there. Basically they took over the channel using a bot provided by one of the person who had engaged in flooding and ddos attacks in order to placate them and get them to stop.

Within the last few days some of the longest term members of the channel wrested it back again from this group of hackers/ddossers. When I joined the channel I was told they had gotten chanfix to give it back to them. I read the fax for chanfix and while I can see how they might have convinced them to give the channel to them based on the parameters of chanfix as best I could see they did not fully meet the criteria for chanfix to do this. I tried to join chanfix and ask questions about it and I was a bit angry and ended up g-lined or d-lined. I got on another server and contacted someone from chanfix and very politely tried to ask about it and was g-lined again. This time from all servers.

The basic gist of all this is that I am not sure chanfix assisted these people although even the comments from the chanfix person seemed to imply this. It is pretty hard to look upon this chain of events as just a mistake. I think they owe a lot of us an explanation. The channel is 30plus.
munky
Site Admin

Re: g-lined for complaining to chanfix

Postby munky » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:53 pm

according to chanfix, the current #1 score is currently opped

chanfix will only *automatically* op users in the event that there are no ops in the channel. in most cases of a takeover, chanfix will not automatically do anything. however it is possible for a chanfix admin to intervene, and force chanfix to clear the channel, which then would trigger the automatic fix based on the regular criteria.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
madelefant

Postby madelefant » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 pm

basically the skinny here is you can flood people off line, ddos them, until you get at least one op in a channel to give in and then as long as you stay opped for a while completely take the channel. The ops in the channel that are the number one score are the people who spent months flooding members offline and engaging in ddos attacks. Now you know who they are.
vx0

Postby vx0 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 am

Actually, the "skinny" is, don't wait so long next time you have a channel taken over. Chanfix is only as good as the scores. It's completely objective. Also, abusing the people running the free service you are using can indeed result in g:lines. Neither concept is new or surprising.