Banned!? :S

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

MT Sarge

Banned!? :S

Postby MT Sarge » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:28 am

* Connecting to irc.dks.ca (6667)
-
-irc.dks.ca- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
-irc.dks.ca- *** Checking Ident
-
-irc.dks.ca- *** Found your hostname
-
-irc.dks.ca- *** No Ident response
-
-irc.dks.ca- *** Banned Temporary K-line 1440 min. - Clones are prohibited (2004/2/2 14.27)
-
Closing Link: a135017.upc-a.chello.nl (*** Banned )
-
* Disconnected
What should I do now? I obviously breaked some rules, didn't knew about those restrictions.. Now I can not login for the next 2-3 months :S

Is there any way to "make this right"?

Greetz,

MT_sarge
prefect

Postby prefect » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:23 am

irc.dks.ca MOTD wrote: - If you need to get in touch with us, feel free to contact
us at irc@dks.ca, or you can issue a /stats p to find an
active server operator.

- You may also join #irc.dks.ca and/or #ca-efnet to ask
questions about this server, or ca-efnet in general.
Or use some other server: http://www.efnet.org/?module=servers

Ps. Clones = several connections from one host to irc. Be careful not to load additional clients in the future.
corrupt
Site Admin

Postby corrupt » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:47 pm

You can do the math. You are banned for 1440 minutes, just as it says -- not for months.
Josh Baird
[corrupt]@EFNet
O: irc.choopa.net
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:23 pm

The kline has now been lifted.

The important about a kline like this isnt to punish, but to make you learn that you shouldnt have excessive clients from the same machine connected to EFnet at the same time.

Have a nice day.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:54 pm

-services.xo(Max.)- clients: 5 at Mon Feb 2 14:25:57 2004 EST
-services.xo(Max.)- unique : 2 at Mon Feb 2 14:22:55 2004 EST

that definitely sounds like clones. if you're not sure why you had so many connections, check your computer for virii
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
prefect

Postby prefect » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:09 pm

munky wrote:that definitely sounds like clones. if you're not sure why you had so many connections, check your computer for virii
http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/download/
http://hackfix.org/software/configure/cleaner.html

edit: ps. there's no such word as virii
Beige

Postby Beige » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:36 am

Hardy wrote:The important about a kline like this isnt to punish, but to make you learn that you shouldnt have excessive clients from the same machine connected to EFnet at the same time.
Not to make a semantic argument (of course I would!), but the a-retentive would probably suggest that punishment is the tool with which you teach or condition users not to have multiple connections. ;-)

Seriously, though, it would be nice - at least in some connection classes - to warn the users that are overstepping their quota with a message first, and K-line only afterwards (if they are still in violation of the rules).
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:21 am

Beige wrote:
Hardy wrote:The important about a kline like this isnt to punish, but to make you learn that you shouldnt have excessive clients from the same machine connected to EFnet at the same time.
Not to make a semantic argument (of course I would!), but the a-retentive would probably suggest that punishment is the tool with which you teach or condition users not to have multiple connections. ;-)

Seriously, though, it would be nice - at least in some connection classes - to warn the users that are overstepping their quota with a message first, and K-line only afterwards (if they are still in violation of the rules).
I agree, however the OOmon who set the kline automaticly doesnt have this feature as far as i know, but i guess we can request it in the next release.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:08 pm

in a perfect world, yes, you would msg every client that was over the limit and notify them before you klined them.
but when you get to work in the morning and tcm reports 15 hostmasks with 4-6 clients each and you know probably all but 1 are eggdrops, it seems rather pointless to try messaging them all.
if it's a real person at the client, they can see the kline message when they reconnect. if it's a bot, it probably isn't going to learn either way unless the owner sees all 6 of his/her bots get disconnected all at once.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.