Cannot connect to efnet, or banned

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

MufinMcFlufin

Cannot connect to efnet, or banned

Postby MufinMcFlufin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 am

I'm fairly new to IRC and efnet, but I'm sure you guys get that a lot, so let me get to the point. I've been on IRC for about two months, and haven't had any problems with connecting. I usually will just keep my client running, unless I turn off my PC or accidentally close the window, so I rarely have to reconnect. A few days ago my brother got me a new wireless networks card and after installing it, I tried to reconnect to efnet, to no avail. My client would automatically cycle through servers without being able to connect to any of them, so it wasn't a problem with just one. Every time it tried to connect, it would either say "Error: Connection Timed out" or just "Error: ", so I figured that it was either a problem with my client using the new networks card, or just the networks card. However, while scrolling through some files today, I found a client I used to use when I first found out about IRC: dotIRC. I figured, what the heck, so I booted it up, and just as expected, it couldn't connect to efnet, but this time for another reason: "-irc.efnet.net- Closing Link: (*** Banned (cache))".

I don't know why I've been banned, as I stick to one channel, and I try to remain very polite to others. Could anyone let me know if there's a reason for me being banned, and if it could be lifted?
phisher1

Re: Cannot connect to efnet, or banned

Postby phisher1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:51 pm

You are most likely banned on one ore few servers. And it's probably not YOU that is banned. Try a specific server and see if you can get connected.
Here is a list of servers. http://www.efnet.org/?module=servers
MufinMcFlufin

Re: Cannot connect to efnet, or banned

Postby MufinMcFlufin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 am

My brother's internet went down recently, and I started using my dad's connection and all clients worked just fine. I think it was that one of my brothers got his connection banned as I did test at least 60 servers (YChat tries a new one every 15 seconds or so, and I had it try for at least 30 minutes while I worked on other things) so while I use my dad's connection, I'll be fine for IRC.