users being banned by efnet from chatroom.

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

shipster

users being banned by efnet from chatroom.

Postby shipster » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:28 am

Hello,recently i got a website and wished to link a chatroom with it to my friend's chatroom on irc and let users join my website and be able to connect to irc and come chat. I told my developer friend that i wanted the chat to connect to irc.efnet.net and to channel #boobs. For some reason though,some of my friends who use irc and try to connect to the channel are telling me that they're being banned from efnet. Is there something that I can do to improve this situation,it's not a warez channel or anything like that and is used solely for chatting purposes and i would like to try and get the situation resolves as fast as possible. I tried stats p on efnet but all ops were idle at the time i believe so i'll try my luck in the forum. The program iw as using for the browser is called pjirc and can be found at http://www.pjirc.com ,but i don't think you need to look into the program too much as it's a standard irc chat client for websites and works very well. Thanks any suggestions would help.
prefect

Postby prefect » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:28 pm

banned from channel? is #boobs your channel?
banned from server? do you have any kline-reasons?

this is too little information to work on
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:54 pm

irc.efnet.net is not a single server, but a round robin dns including 12 servers
if a user gets banned, try /whowas user, and /stats p the server that user was on.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
shipster

Postby shipster » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:34 pm

They were banned from the server,the channel is fine and they're all ops in the channel as it's the same people in it all of the time.. so i don't know why efnet would ban them,unless i should connect to a direct server possibly instead of irc.efnet.net?
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:38 pm

irc.efnet.net includes some servers that only allow a very limited amount of connections from certain areas. While you probably shouldn't have all of the clients connect to one server, you may want to post a list or use the efnet.info round robins, which are only open servers.

Alternatively, you could write to the admin of one server and get permission to have all of the clients there. That way, if there is a problem from your site, the admin(s) will have someone to go to.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
tabarnac

prison again

Postby tabarnac » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:08 pm

munky wrote:irc.efnet.net is not a single server, but a round robin dns including 12 servers
if a user gets banned, try /whowas user, and /stats p the server that user was on.
AFAIK, irc.efnet.net points first to irc.prison.net, which is the least welcoming server on this network (they k-line people for idling). Try using one of those irc.xx.efnet.info round robin instead.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:01 am

Name: irc.efnet.net
Addresses: 65.57.234.3, 65.77.140.140, 193.163.220.3, 194.109.129.220
198.175.186.5, 198.252.195.2, 204.92.73.10, 205.210.145.2, 208.178.231.189
216.32.207.207, 216.193.223.223, 217.17.33.10
In God we trust,
wundr

Re: prison again

Postby wundr » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:55 am

tabarnac wrote:
munky wrote:irc.efnet.net is not a single server, but a round robin dns including 12 servers
AFAIK, irc.efnet.net points first to irc.prison.net, which is the least welcoming server on this network (they k-line people for idling). Try using one of those irc.xx.efnet.info round robin instead.
afaik, the way a round robin works is that the dns server cycles through which IP it gives first. after it gives one listing, it moves the first one in the list to the end of the list, and so on. that's kind of the point of a round robin in the first place... it'd be pretty useless for load balancing if the first one was always the same. although, it did give you fodder for bashing irc.prison.net yet again. :wink:

also, not to nitpick, but wasn't pasting IPs that you don't control disallowed?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:30 pm

these are publicly available ips that are available by simply resolving hostnames that are found elsewhere on this website (ie - http://www.efnet.info/?module=servers), and not the ips/hostnames of other users on efnet or elsewhere that may wish to remain anonymous. if an irc server wanted to remain anonymous, it would not link to efnet.
In God we trust,
wundr

Postby wundr » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:51 pm

munky wrote: if an irc server wanted to remain anonymous, it would not link to efnet.
one might say the same about users who connect to EFNet, but I understand what your point is, that these are EFNet-affiliated IPs that aren't private, and whose owners already do consent to their being listed on this web site. Thank you for the rule clarification.
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:25 pm

wundr wrote:
munky wrote: if an irc server wanted to remain anonymous, it would not link to efnet.
one might say the same about users who connect to EFNet, but I understand what your point is, that these are EFNet-affiliated IPs that aren't private, and whose owners already do consent to their being listed on this web site. Thank you for the rule clarification.
Munky starts throwing "waste" if you edit his posts anyway. ;)
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Sat May 08, 2004 11:22 am

if you have control over DNS to your website just find some efnet servers you particularly like and put round robbin DNS of irc.yoursite.com to those efnet servers? or does efnet not allow this?