Help with K Line Please - Thanks

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

gfenley

Help with K Line Please - Thanks

Postby gfenley » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:17 am

greetings

I have been chatting for years on IRC and have never been K Lined. Today I logged onto EFNet and was disconnected with this message:

*** Banned Temporary K-line 1440 min. - Blacklisted Proxy found. Visit http://openrbl.org/lookup?i=67.210.172.72 for info. (2004/8/25 20.49)

I chat using a Mac, ircle and dialup, very basic vanilla setup. I am not a power user. I went to the URL given in the message and I don't understand it.

I logged onto Dalnet and the people on #help were not able to figure out what went on. They said I am not associated with any known abuse listing and Dalnet is not detecting anything wrong with my connection.

Can anyone offer some assistance so that I can get back onto EFNet?
wundr

Re: Help with K Line Please - Thanks

Postby wundr » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:54 am

gfenley wrote:greetings

I have been chatting for years on IRC and have never been K Lined. Today I logged onto EFNet and was disconnected with this message:

*** Banned Temporary K-line 1440 min. - Blacklisted Proxy found. Visit http://openrbl.org/lookup?i=67.210.172.72 for info. (2004/8/25 20.49)

I chat using a Mac, ircle and dialup, very basic vanilla setup. I am not a power user. I went to the URL given in the message and I don't understand it.

I logged onto Dalnet and the people on #help were not able to figure out what went on. They said I am not associated with any known abuse listing and Dalnet is not detecting anything wrong with my connection.

Can anyone offer some assistance so that I can get back onto EFNet?
Most likely is that this k-line wasn't placed specifically on you, but rather on the IP that you are currently using. Probably, it was being used previously by someone who was doing bad things or had an insecure computer, and that is how the IP got added to the blacklists. Try disconnecting from your ISP and reconnecting to get a new IP. Hopefully, that will work.

Also, that is incorrect that your IP is not associated with any known abuse listing... the page that is in the K-line message tells you that it, in fact, IS listed. Click on the names on the left (DSBL/dsbl.org, etc) to see what is banned and why.