Getting Excess Flood

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

mmmkay

Getting Excess Flood

Postby mmmkay » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:49 am

so I keep getting Excess flood from alot of .us servers. I use psybnc and it's both when I just connect with psybnc and when I reattach a detached session. Sometimes it doesnt Excess flood me, like upon connecting regulary, it's like a 50/50 % chance there. feels like everytime I think I've found some wierd fix for it and I try detaching and reattaching. it works and then it hits me again the next time with an excess flood error. I've tried searching google, irc forums etc, not much info found yet. I even read that psybnc is supposed to do this throttle ish to prevent this?

I also searched this forum and I found one thread that had some explaining with scripting in that irc should time the joining of chans etc, but it's kinda annoying adding 30-40 chans, and not all are permanent chans I stay in. also how does that work with psybnc when I'm detached and reattach?

so I've come to the conclusion that, either everyone is hiding the secret to prevent this or there isnt a really good solution to it, other than yes get yerself a bnc that really really really throttles it self. using the mirc flood protection doesnt work either.

thing is I need to use a us server, cuz the shell I got is located in the us and for some reason it has the lamest routing to eu where I am and some other efnet us servers. so for now that I've found that works well is irc.choopa.net and irc.scnet.net. but I get excess flood there. is there any reasonable and good solution to this or are we all doomed for all eternity? hehe

any help is appreciated

TIA
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:59 pm

as i believe was noted in the thread you probably read, get a bnc that doesn't just dump commands to the server when you reattach.
what's happening is the bnc has a fast connection, and can dump commands pretty quick to the server, and recieve data back, but then it has to send the data back to you, and you have a slower connection. this causes a backup of data, your queue gets full, and boom, excess flood.
so, you can either get a bnc that slows itself down when sending commands to the server, or get one that doesn't /part all your channels when you detach
that, or run bitchx/irssi/epic/etc from the shell instead of bouncing mirc.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
mmmkay

Postby mmmkay » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:56 am

psybnc doesnt part all the chans when u detach.
and I did read somewhere that psybnc does throttle it self to prevent this, but I guess that info was wrong then. but I mean there must be some way to fix this other than starting to use a diff bnc. alot use psybnc so alot of ppl must be having the same problem, or it's just me.

what other bnc app could u suggest other than psybnc and ezbounce? ctrlproxy I had alot of troubles installing on my shell, same with dircproxy. tho it says with the same info for psybnc that ctrlproxy should throttle etc, but who knows if it really does then heh.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:01 pm

i haven't used any bnc clients in 4 years or so. and i've never had a need to join 30 channels. maybe someone else on the forum has some suggestions?
In God we trust,
mmmkay

Postby mmmkay » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:40 pm

c'mon someone must have had the same prob, or knows how to prevent this. it's really getting annoying! :/

also why does some irc servers not excess flood me and some do. seems various efnet servers have a higher limit for how much u can send etc...
lucy

Postby lucy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:52 am

have you tried looking for a psnbnc forum, or emailing the psybnc support people or doing a search on google?
mmmkay

Postby mmmkay » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:57 am

yes I've done some intensive google searching, havent found anything useful yet. hence I turned here for some more expert help, but I still have the prob..
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:15 pm

maybe ask #psybnc on IRCnet?
In God we trust,
mmmkay

Postby mmmkay » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:01 pm

I did, didnt get a serious answer so I guess they dont know either, bah sucks really..
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:37 pm

have you tried the mirc flood protection?
In God we trust,
mmmkay

Postby mmmkay » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:41 pm

yep I have, didnt work. even entered the minimum which is 100b and checked everything and didnt do any good. I dont have the /who on join either on.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:42 pm

you don't have to have /who on join to excess flood, just auto-joining 20-30 channels will do it.
many auto-join scripts will set themselves to pause 2-4 seconds between joins to prevent excess floods
In God we trust,
kea

Postby kea » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:08 pm

psybnc can be configured to part channels after you leave
but have you tested other irc client than mirc? at least you will find out exactly if it is because if mirc or because of psybnc
my guess is the mass /who is the problem
Times

Postby Times » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:56 pm

The flooding off will be due to mirc doing /names upon your reattaching, doing that in 40 channels is a lot of data. I used to have the same issue. Since I've started using irc.easynews.com I've not flooded off once on reconnect. I'm guessing that's because of a higher sendq.
I kissed her with my fingertips.

Postby 3774 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:36 pm

i'm experiencing the same problem, which is what brought me to this thread. i've even gone as far as to modify some of the psybnc source so that it does not rejoin all the channels when it gets disconnected from the server. my problem (i believe) is the /names command being sent so many times consecutively. i'm only in 15 channels and i'm flooding off nearly every time i re-attach to the bnc.

does anybody know if there is a way to fix this that they have come across? its obviously pretty frustrating (and in several ways defeats the purpose of having a bnc lol)

i tried Times' suggestion of using easynews and it seemed to work, i think that one solution is finding servers with higher sendq, which brings me to my 2nd question: how can i find out which servers have higher sendq's? is there a command i can use on each server so it shows it? i dont think i've ever seen it listed in the initial connect dialog before. or are we still stuck with just guess & check and just try servers to see which ones work?

any help is greatly appreciated :)