Servers not allowing single letter nicks?

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:01 pm

g listen to lucy, listen to everyone else. drop this or you will be losing your sln's and everyone elses.
G

Wow someone that read my posting @!#@!!#@

Postby G » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:03 pm

I dont feel we should feel lucky at all i have been attacked for them but never once have had a server attacked for them. We dont have nickserv for a reason but ircop/admins find ways to get around how efnet was first setup "without nickserv" this is just there way of running a nickserv on efnet without calling it that and in my opionion that is wrong. I have never once had a server attackd for one of my singles and i have 15 of them and hold 15 of them on a regular basis. So the ddos thing isnt cutting it cause we all know the servers on efnet are stronger than shells on efnet "for the most part". So this answer of the ddos to a server in my opionion is just what they said earlier in this forum post "BS"

thanks
G
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:08 pm

Why should the servers have to deal with ANY DDoS because of an action of a user? Servers DO get attacked. Who cares how big of a pipe they have? Single letter nicks have been causes for attacks in the past. Servers don't want to deal with the potential for future attacks. Why should we potentially add to the DDoS that we received?

How do you know that a server has never been attacked for one of your nicks? You can not be sure of that; you don't get the reasons why a server was attacked, nor do you necessarily know it's happening due to filtering. The point is that we don't want to deal with it.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
G

Postby G » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:16 pm

The point is you havent since the early 90s!

Ok thanks for everyone input in this i now have a better feel for the situation and reasoning in thou in my opionion this is a problem that is old and not a common problem now adays. But there your rules and your servers. So thank you everyone for your imput in this question that i had and helping me understand why it was done.

But if chanfix's services that it sits on is hit will chanfix stop helping people with there channel takeover issues?

thanks
G
dexter

Postby dexter » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:49 am

G wrote:The point is you havent since the early 90s!

Ok thanks for everyone input in this i now have a better feel for the situation and reasoning in thou in my opionion this is a problem that is old and not a common problem now adays. But there your rules and your servers. So thank you everyone for your imput in this question that i had and helping me understand why it was done.

But if chanfix's services that it sits on is hit will chanfix stop helping people with there channel takeover issues?

thanks
G
How can you draw a comparison between a network service and your little collection of single character nicks?
G

Postby G » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:57 am

If you dont have nicks you dont have users on your networks to use chanfix. So ofcourse you can compare the two.... But the fact is that people dont attack servers for nicknames they havent in years its just a lame excuse but atleast it is one. Thats really all i was lookin for by asking the question in the first place. Is to find out why this action was taken by some servers all within a couple day period.

thanks
G
seiki

Postby seiki » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:05 pm

G wrote:This is in responce to doug sir you /killd my bot for the nick twice so you have no room to talk you are just adding to the problem here not trying to help fix it.
thanks
G
if you don't like being killed, don't run your jupe bots which are equipped to flood on our beloved network.

I don't appreciate my bot 'z' being flooded by your bots because you have some IRC alphabet fetish.

it's idiots like you who are the problem, keep it up and I'll compile a new bot named G. =]

-douglas
0versight

Postby 0versight » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:49 am

Pills wrote:There are plenty of other networks that offer nickserv. We don't.
Not complaining, but why doesn't efnet do that?
IRC is how I deal with reality.
seiki

Postby seiki » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:12 pm

efnet pioneered 'nickserv' back in 1994, but it was delinked after much debate. It's been over ten years, and I don't expect it to return anytime soon.

-douglas
wundr

Postby wundr » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:18 pm

0versight wrote:Not complaining, but why doesn't efnet do that?
Read this
a

hi

Postby a » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:27 pm

SLNs own! all servers should allow them.
eternal

The rules are the rules... Bottom line!

Postby eternal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:56 pm

I know this reply is months late, but hey.. better late than never. right? Heh.

First of all.. G will never understand because he doesn't WANT to. So no amount of reason in the world will ever truly clarify the issue for him IMHO. But here's an attempt at a summary.

First, servers DO get attacked. Fact not fiction. In addition to DDoS attacks, they get the string of complaints and have to deal with something largely resembling BABY SITTING. Since most of the people that run the EFNET realm have very large plates(enormous task lists), they are left with little time to arbitrate disputes and babysit people who want to bicker over the use/ownership of a nickname. The reasons are plentiful. You have been given many, and yet you continue to "not see them". This is NOT because people haven't given you the answers, it's because you choose not to acknowledge them.

Second, when weighed, single letter nicks are more about vanity than they are about necessity. Frankly, ALL nicks are about vanity. It's the very concept. However, the issue still boils down to "How much are we willing to tolerate in the name of vanity?" You can justify your half of the argument all you like. You can feel that you are the only person who sees the issue clearly, you can feel any way you like... all the feeling in the world does not change the fact that the rules implimented on efnet major are implimented for the greater good of the community as a whole. These are not issues that "Joe Admin" decided on and implimented. There is usually an approval process that must be addressed. So if some servers have decided to disallow SLN's it is for the greater good of their community as a whole.

Third, all the analogies in the world don't matter.. You could question and argue why efnet chose a 9 character nick limit too. I want 10 characters, right? It doesn't matter. The rules are the rules. If you don't like them.. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

EFNET and any individual servers falling under that umbrella are not here to serve as your own personal playground with you as the focus. They are here so that thousands of users across the entire planet can enjoy the services they offer daily, and it is to this end that the guidlines, decisions and penalties are set.

So to G... Enjoy your cacophony. It's your time wasted.
The burden of a fool is so much greater than the fool's burden.