Servers not allowing single letter nicks?

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

G

Servers not allowing single letter nicks?

Postby G » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:04 pm

I dont get why every server that has stopped allowing single letter nicks tell me they cause problems now what problem could a nickname cause?
I have more than half of them and i dont have any problems what so ever.
I feel like i am getting a line of bs ............ Thats like saying no you cant have the nick Disciple cause it has a d in it!!! lol i mean come on now. Is there a reason why we dont have a nickserv on this network? :evil:
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:36 pm

There are plenty of other networks that offer nickserv. We don't.

Some admins don't want to deal with the BS that happens with the single letter nicks. Also, quite a few of them are services bots on different networks, and can be used to get passwords.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
G

Postby G » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:39 pm

BS thats what i dont get... I dont want nickserv i just wanna be able to use stable servers with my nickname i have had forever and i have never had a problem with it so there is no way a server has. But what do you mean by BS?
I mean i feel if we dont have nickserv and thats what i like about this network then why mess with nicks?
G

Postby G » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:45 pm

i mean like your server owns your server has been around SOOOOOO long and is SOOOO stable but i cant use it and that sucks. I feel like its the 60's :/
And i have all my nicks its just the servers with "ok no nickserv , but were gonna restrict nicknames another way"
Osc

Postby Osc » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:13 pm

The fact that you are posting about wanting such nicks points out that such nicks can be an issue. It is this issue that some servers do not wish to deal with. So, rather than saying that you can't have nick "g" but "h" is ok, they restrict all single letter nicks.

This isn't any sort of nickname service issue at all. You might just as well say that the various limits on number of channels one can join is a channel service issue.
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
G

Postby G » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:27 pm

well thats still not a answer i was just asking a question this is not a problem.
The fact is that you have no answer so the only way that you can respond is laying some crap on this question to be the reason for the problem and i said NOTHING about channels so please read the question carefully before answering.
thank you sir for your time
G

Postby G » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:53 pm

and i dont want the nicks i have them....

I dunno if anyone can really answer this question no one has been able to yet
(not talkin about people on this forum*) as to what problems single letter nicks would cause for servers on efnet? But anything would help at this point i guess i have spoken to alot of staff members of alot of servers on efnet and they can only say "they cause problems" but can never ever tell me what problems that they would cause for the servers they can be on...

Thanks everyone,
G
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:43 pm

the short of it, they are ddos targets. and if kiddies can't ddos off the client, they aim for the server (why aim at 200 jupe drones when you can get them all with one server, right?)
all in the name of vanity
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
G

Postby G » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:49 pm

you think someone is stupid enough to put 200 jupes going for the same nick on one server? i seriously doubt that.... I dont see them attacking a server at all 85% of all servers have better firewalls and things to help with that type of stuff the ddos would go to the nick in my opionion. I have never had anyone attack a server i was on to get to my nick "G" and i have this nick and chatted off it for a long time. But slowly but surely i am losing my most favorite servers to use to chat on efnet due to this so called "problem" and no one can really tell me why it is a problem for the server i see it as a problem for the person that has the nick.

thanks
G
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:06 pm

There is a reason they were juped in the first place, and that is that single letter nicks used to get the servers dossed alot because they were popular. Some servers still has them and others dont. There are plenty of combinations to use as a nick on efnet, so use one of them instead.

You can also ask "why does some tld`s not allow single letter registrations?"
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
G

huh?

Postby G » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:54 pm

Juped in the first place? The nicks are not juped i have the nicks "G" for example. Can i ask has anyone responding to this question actually read the whole forum entery here? Cause none of the answers to this simple question have been answered yet and other smaller questions are not being read right or something cause your talkin about already juped nicknames which we were not at any point speaking of!?

And why would i speak about ltds when were talkin about server policies and nickname useage on efnet server?

What gets me is i have used to chat the same single letter nick for A LONG time and i am slowly losing the best servers. They say the nicks are "problems" but when i ask what the problem is they bs around and never give me a real answer to it. With your comment of them being ddos magnets thats for the clients there sittin on not your server.If you think shell's or clients which the nicks are being held on are stronger than the servers they sit on your very much mistaken. I mean are the admins just bored and finding this as something to do or what? I would really like to understand what is going on cause this network does not have nickserv so there for i feel they should not mess with nickname's!! I can see the ones that they have to ok thats fine but ALL of them??

thanks
G
seiki

Re: huh?

Postby seiki » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:46 pm

G wrote:Juped in the first place? ...
G
aren't you the dude who was flooding my bot z with your botnet, probably flood it offline to get it's nick? Is this how you get your other single letter nicknames too?

maybe some server admins don't want users flooding other users offline to steal their nicks, and have decided that single letter nicks are simply fought over too much.

-douglas

Re: Servers not allowing single letter nicks?

Postby 1753 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:48 pm

G wrote:I dont get why every server that has stopped allowing single letter nicks tell me they cause problems now what problem could a nickname cause?
I have more than half of them and i dont have any problems what so ever.
I feel like i am getting a line of bs ............ Thats like saying no you cant have the nick Disciple cause it has a d in it!!! lol i mean come on now. Is there a reason why we dont have a nickserv on this network? :evil:
G you made their point for them in the first message. People for some crazy reason think it's cool to have all the one character nicks, I'm sure we all remember the battles the used to take place for them. Your old nick was just as cool as G *snickers*
G

Postby G » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:53 pm

This is in responce to doug sir you /killd my bot for the nick twice so you have no room to talk you are just adding to the problem here not trying to help fix it.

thanks
G
lucy

Postby lucy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:54 pm

if we keep making a big deal out of them, they won't be allowed on any servers and my L will be so sad :cry:

i think we are lucky any servers still allow them.
i've certainly been attacked for mine a few yrs ago and understand the reasons for not allowing them.

whenever one person or group has tried to get all the 'alphabet' it has caused problems.
and servers do get attacked cause maybe people think its easier to take out 2-3 servers than 26 individuals.