Dlined

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Pavix

Dlined

Postby Pavix » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:53 am

Hello,

My friend run's a small dedicated server from which I run a rather tiny 12 bot eggnet. It appears I'm dlined across many server's for "vbots" or "clones". Is there some place I can get an I line for our IP range? There is no more than 2 connections from the same hostname/IP, and I have the bots spread across 4 different servers yet they continuously get dlined.
Osc

Re: Dlined

Postby Osc » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:25 pm

[quote="Pavix"]Hello,

My friend run's a small dedicated server from which I run a rather tiny 12 bot eggnet. It appears I'm dlined across many server's for "vbots" or "clones". Is there some place I can get an I line for our IP range? There is no more than 2 connections from the same hostname/IP, and I have the bots spread across 4 different servers yet they continuously get dlined.[/quote]

12 is not tiny. Nor is 8. You don't need an I:line for your bots: you need fewer bots. Once the D:lines expire, try running 1 or 2 bots, total, on servers that allow bots.
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
Pavix

Postby Pavix » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:04 am

If more than 1 server split's and the channel is left opless 2 bots can be ineffective. I could see 8 bot's being more reasonable than 12, 2 bots per server, 4 servers but 1 or 2 isnt going to help much. I'm also aware of chanfix and it's position, but since chanfix needs channels to be active for certain amounts of time.....a small, and I've seen 50+ bot eggnets so yes 12 is small, botnet is more effective.
lucy

Postby lucy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:31 am

12 bots from one shell for one person is alot, particularly if they have the same ident.
Pavix

Postby Pavix » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:02 am

So instead I should allow my channels to go opless and helpless after a split?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:52 pm

In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
jilles

Postby jilles » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:30 pm

and what if your server or its network goes down? :)
Pavix

Postby Pavix » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:14 am

CHANFIX keeps a score database of how often each person held ops in each channel. The ops and the channel both must qualify under certain rules, as described in later sections. The regular ops are those who qualify and held ops the most during the past two weeks. If a channel loses ops, CHANFIX will automatically re-op any qualifying former ops with the highest scores
If my channel isnt active for more than 2 weeks chanfix is useless as I stated previously. Any my channels usually have at least 1 off-network bot in conjunction with our 12 bot botnet.
lucy

Postby lucy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:04 pm

maybe you should get some additional shells for your bots instead of having 12 on the same shell.
wundr

Postby wundr » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:44 am

Pavix wrote:If my channel isnt active for more than 2 weeks chanfix is useless as I stated previously.
What do you mean by "active"? All it takes for CHANFIX to work with your channel is for there to be 4 clients (real people or bots) in the channel. That means 3 bots and yourself, or even 4 bots and no real people would work. There is no requirement that the channel be "active" in the sense that people are talking. There is no way for chanfix to know that. You can have a completely silent channel and as long as there are 4 clients in it, chanfix will keep track of your channel.

If you don't even have a couple people to stay in the channel, I guess I have to ask why the channel needs to exist in the first place...
Pavix

Postby Pavix » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:10 pm

By active I meant open, having clients in it, it has nothing to do with whether anyone is communicating in the channel.