IPs or Hostnames what will it be?

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Dan

IPs or Hostnames what will it be?

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:13 pm

Hey

im trying to connect to IRC with my BNC and i only wish the IP to be displayed and not the actual hostname is there anyway that this is possible?

Somebody did tell me that if a hostname exceeds a certain limit then it doesnt resolve and just shows the IP is there any where i could find out which servers do this as my hostname is fairly long

Any Help would be much appriecated

Regards
Dan
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:25 pm

If your DNS server is set up not to show the hostname, or the server's DNS server isn't working right, your host name will not show up. Otherwise, I think you're pretty much SOL.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder

Re: IPs or Hostnames what will it be?

Postby leeh » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:40 pm

Dan wrote: im trying to connect to IRC with my BNC and i only wish the IP to be displayed and not the actual hostname is there anyway that this is possible?

Somebody did tell me that if a hostname exceeds a certain limit then it doesnt resolve and just shows the IP is there any where i could find out which servers do this as my hostname is fairly long
Presuming nothing at the DNS server changes, theres no way to pick and choose whether you want to use the host or ip when you connect to irc. If it resolves properly, you'll always get the host.

The length limit is 63. Anything over this is always ignored on all servers on efnet, but unless you have access to change the DNS, its out of your control.

If you dont have access to the DNS server, theres nothing you can do except have the host. :)
Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:21 am

Thanks for the replies guys, your help has been much appreicated

Gonna have to waste a few hours redoing a bnet fun fun!

Again thanks for the help

Dan
corrupt
Site Admin

Postby corrupt » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:46 pm

If you can get your admin to remove the reverse DNS for your hostname, only the IP will show up when you connect to IRC.
Josh Baird
[corrupt]@EFNet
O: irc.choopa.net