This is an EXTREME longshot, but is there a server that has logs back to 1998?

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

oiomi

This is an EXTREME longshot, but is there a server that has logs back to 1998?

Postby oiomi » Sat May 28, 2016 3:46 am

So, I know this is kind of a crazy idea. But hear me out...

Back in 1998 I was in an online relationship with someone, and our primary means of communicating with each other was on EFnet irc. One time, I had to go out of town for a week, and when I got back she was extremely mad at me.... "How could you say those things to me, etc".... I couldn't understand, but apparently during that time, somebody had impersonated me and tried to screw with our relationship. At the time, I always assumed it was a random person I didn't know who happened to log in under my nick. However, in the years since then, I've had a friend that betrayed me several times, and I realized there was a good possibility he is the person who impersonated me and trashed the relationship on purpose.

So I wonder, are there any logs that go back that far that would show what ip address logged into a particular nick? And if so, could I get access to it in order to research whether this ip was my "friend"?

Like I said, I know it's a long shot and probably not possible. But I was just curious... If I could somehow validate this, it would give me more closure.

Thank you for your help and consideration.
Handle With Care

Re: This is an EXTREME longshot, but is there a server that has logs back to 1998?

Postby Handle With Care » Sat May 28, 2016 7:57 pm

The simple answer is no. IRC is anonymous. Warning: If you're stalking or attempting to stalk, most administrators will report you to law enfrcement (after banning you). A 20-year-old cyper affair?
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.