Opers + mIRC

Discussion of and help with popular IRC Clients.

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRC Clients Moderators

Postby 3717 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:06 pm

guess im old fassion if i say opers shouldn't use mirc or any other brainless GUI irc client
deww

Postby deww » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:11 am

Doa wrote:guess im old fassion if i say opers shouldn't use mirc or any other brainless GUI irc client
I used to share the same anti-mIRC sentiments, but I was young(er) and honestly, I have no real reason to dislike it, besides that I was a lot more comfortable with ircii (and later epic). What exactly are your reasons mIRC is "brainless"? It does seem to be very scriptable and really, you can do everything via the command line if you choose to. The mouse isn't an absolute requirement, but it sure does help with the windows. I still don't use it as my primary client, but what are the reasons against mIRC for opers?

Postby 3717 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:33 am

you could kill an entire network with a "click"
then there are the exploits
besides that i find text-based clients still much more usefull for a good overview if you are on a lot of servers/channels but thats just me.
i also have the nasty habbit when it comes to take new opers to select only users with irssi :twisted:
deww

Postby deww » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:52 am

Doa wrote:you could kill an entire network with a "click"
then there are the exploits
besides that i find text-based clients still much more usefull for a good overview if you are on a lot of servers/channels but thats just me.
i also have the nasty habbit when it comes to take new opers to select only users with irssi :twisted:
How do you kill an entire network with one click in mIRC? Would it be a function of a script? I've never opered up using mIRC, so I don't know if there's some new feature that shows up if you're opered up. As for exploitable irc clients... mIRC can't be the only one. :) And personally, yes, I still like text based irc clients too.
Osc

Postby Osc » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:50 pm

what fun! Yet another chance to educate.

[quote="Doa"]you could kill an entire network with a "click"[/quote]

In the same way one could do it with a CLI client. Nothing about the GUI makes this more or less dificult.

[quote="Doa"]then there are the exploits[/quote]

Feel free to message me the details on all the exploits that work againsed the current version. If you can come up with *one* I'll be very impressed. Why? because if there were even *one* it would be in current use to create havoc. Res ipsa loquitur.

[quote="Doa"]i also have the nasty habbit when it comes to take new opers to select only users with irssi :twisted:[/quote]

Which server do you admin here? And what method do you use to verify this?
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:42 pm

wundr wrote:
HM2K wrote: besides ircN sucks anyway.
Why? I've been using ircN 7 for years, and rather like it (although I admit I haven't tried the ircN 8 betas yet). Why does it "suck"? If you are telling a member of the ircN development team that their project "sucks", it may be useful to tell them why you think so.
I would recommend trying a network that uses UnrealIRC rarther than ratbox/hybrid, they are more likly to be your target audience.
I'm curious why you say a network that uses UnrealIRC would be more interested?

BTW, plenty of EFNet opers use 3rd party scripts on various clients...
Some years ago I spoke to one of the authors of ircN (or scripts) and he was a noob (probably you slakker), didn't know what he was on about. Can't remember the exact details, but I certainly wouldn't wanna use that buggy crap. Do I really need to justify it?

I'm sure opers use TRUSTED and TESTED 3rd party scripts, most likely made by people they are fimilar with, I guess ircN would fall into that catagory.

The reason I say UnrealIRCD users might be better is that I believe its more widely used in particular by people "new" to using IRCD's, suggesting that they would more than likely need or want a script like this so they wouldn't have to learn all the commands.

I'm sure (despite popular belief) EFnet opers know what they are doing, and wouldn't need a script such as this as they are fimilar with the commands.

I think the rest about exploits and possible problems has been made clear, so I won't dwell on that.

I see you went ahead and made it anyway: http://www.ircn.org/ircnbeta/modules/al ... storyid=18

Just as a final note, I kinda know what i'm on about as I wrote an oper script a few years ago as I used to run Unreal IRCD and people kept asking what the commands were...

You can find it here: http://www.hm2k.org/scripts/oper.mrc

I hope this has been educational.
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
dexter

Postby dexter » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:48 pm

HM2K wrote:Just as a final note, I kinda know what i'm on about as I wrote an oper script a few years ago as I used to run Unreal IRCD and people kept asking what the commands were...

I hope this has been educational.
"I'm kind of a big deal."