Hmmm :)

Discussion of and help with popular IRC Clients.

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRC Clients Moderators

What IRC client do you use?

mIRC
43%
irssi
18%
BitchX
22%
EPIC
6%
xchat
5%
telnet
No votes
you missed out my favorite client, die fool!
7%

Total votes: 88
Garion

client war!

Postby Garion » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:56 pm

nitedog wrote:personally, I am not worried about keeping both hands on the keyboard. i only need to do that if i am constantly typing.
But isn't that what IRC is all about? :P
nitedog wrote:the sheer amount of text from oper related crap to 10 channels, all displayed in a way that it can be monitored, is the reason I use mirc.
This can be done in console clients as well. I have many different windows, each one dedicated to a certain kind of server message.
nitedog wrote:and since the amount of mirc scripting i and others involved with the script has done adds features and capabilies most console clients have not bothered to add yet
Being a hardcore console client user, I don't really have any ideas which kind of features you refer to. Could you shed some light on these features?
nitedog wrote:either way. comparing the two really comes down to purists.
Agreed. Just like other 'wars', like OS wars or editor wars, there is no one and only true answer. Just use whatever bakes your noodle.
I was at an undernet oper's house and saw the impressive shit he had done with his mIRC. It almost made me consider to switch from irssi to mIRC :)
nitedog wrote:I catch alot of shit simply from running mirc. apparentl, the only way to irc is on a console client...in some people's closed minds.
Closedminded indeed. Ignore them! :)

-- Garion
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:01 pm

Shane wrote: Simple example: ctrl-c and ctrl-v to copy and paste, or right click, select copy, then right click again and select paste? Which is easier for you? Why is it called shortcut keys? Why do interface designers even bother to code in these shortcut keys if they are not useful? I'm pretty sure that you use them yourself.

In my opinion, gui clients are easier to learn, and make better use of screen real estate than console clients - tiling of windows side by side anyone? However, console clients force you from the start to learn the keyboard shortcuts and commands. If more people used the tab key in mirc, no one would be coding auto-nick completion into mirc scripts.
if shortcut keys aren't faster for you than using the mouse, then i suggest taking some typing classes. :P

seriously though, i can hit esc-[0-9] much faster and without having to move my eyes or hands to find the mouse. sure, using the mouse only takes 2 seconds to switch a window, but in that 2 seconds i can switch 3-4 windows using my escape sequences (or even typing /ws 1, /ws 2, /ws 3).

i have no arguement that gui clients are easier to learn on. i started on qui clients myself. but i find the features of cli clients outweight the learning curve, and now that i know how to use the features, i'm faster at my cli client than i ever was with any gui clients.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:56 pm

I dont think the topic of this board was meant to cause client wars...

Its important that you use what you feel is right for you.
I dont care whats faster..
I dont care whats prettier..
I dont care whats more powerfull..

All i care about is :

A: does it do what I want it to do.
B: is it comfortable to use
C: am i happy with it
D: if i need additonal functionality can i add that in?

If all your goals are met with you're client of choice...
Then who really cares?

Saying mIRC is crap, and putting down bitchX users really dosen't extend your penis size. Its really nice that you prefer irc II ... but others may not.

Keep you're minds open to other possibilities... those clients you deem unworthy are obviouslly worthy to others or they wouldnt be so gosh darn popular.

No client is better then another. There are only clients that are better then others for you.
Efnet Operator..
RIP *.qeast.net I'll miss you! :(
Auriga is qurves slave! (is a Forum moderator)
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:50 pm

Auriga wrote:Saying mIRC is crap, and putting down bitchX users really dosen't extend your penis size. Its really nice that you prefer irc II ... but others may not.
i never said mirc is crap. i just said i prefer bitchx. i feel the same about irc client wars as i do about OS wars (pc/mac/*nix/etc): everything has advantages and disadvantages, use whats right for you and/or the situation.

(and as for penis size, i'm not worried about it, i already know i have a big cock ;) )
In God we trust,
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:40 pm

munky wrote:
Auriga wrote:Saying mIRC is crap, and putting down bitchX users really dosen't extend your penis size. Its really nice that you prefer irc II ... but others may not.
i never said mirc is crap. i just said i prefer bitchx. i feel the same about irc client wars as i do about OS wars (pc/mac/*nix/etc): everything has advantages and disadvantages, use whats right for you and/or the situation.

(and as for penis size, i'm not worried about it, i already know i have a big cock ;) )
My post was not directed at you specifically..
It was a generalized comment.
I dont care about the size of your penis either .. put it away... :P
heh
Efnet Operator..
RIP *.qeast.net I'll miss you! :(
Auriga is qurves slave! (is a Forum moderator)
slushey

Postby slushey » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:27 am

Auriga wrote: A: does it do what I want it to do.
B: is it comfortable to use
C: am i happy with it
D: if i need additonal functionality can i add that in?
mIRC is perfect for my uses. It does exactly what I want it to do, connect to IRC, keep me connected and show me everything I personally need to see. It's preety (hehe), has an easy to understand scripting language with lots of help files (whenever you want a reference /help) and of course the author keeps the client up to date. The client is very comfortable to use, i mean, if you really wanted to log all op commands you issue, you could script it in just a second. It has the ability to expand its funcitionality quickly, and is just as easily flexable as other clients, and of course, yes I am happy with my client.

I'm sure this thread was started to show your personal prefence of IRC client, and not initialize trolling and flaming. Come on people, IT'S ONLY IRC!
Humor is the best sense we ALL have in common.

slushey ....just me
nothing more.....nothing less

"In Canada we play Duck, Duck, Moose."
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:17 pm

slushey wrote:I'm sure this thread was started to show your personal prefence of IRC client, and not initialize trolling and flaming. Come on people, IT'S ONLY IRC!
actually, in this case, "it's only a forum" (or http, if you prefer sticking to protocols)

come to think of it, i'm surprised we have yet to reach godwins rule yet on these forums.. (knock on wood)
In God we trust,
Kahr

Postby Kahr » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:11 pm

I've been using mIRC for ages. It's a plain and simple IRC Client, and you can do whatever you want with it anyhow. I script it myself to get it the way I want it. :wink:
"Dammit! That's like the third time I've been owned!" - Hiei
Osc

Postby Osc » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:48 pm

mirc window keyboard shortcuts, if your interested:

ctrl-tab ... cycle between open windows
ctrl-shift-tab ... ditto, in reverse order
ctrl-n ... cycle between channel windows
ctrl-q ... ditto, for query windows

or

alt-w-# switch to any of your first 10 windows directly
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
feer

Postby feer » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:46 pm

Why are so many of the "uber elite" hardcore users so against using mIRC? It is the best client available for windows, and I don't see the point of using a console client when you could be using mIRC.

Go!
feer@efnet
nitedog

Postby nitedog » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:05 am

there are a number of reasons.
some people like the screen ability...because i guess they switch between machines alot.

some people dont run windows at all..(suckers :P)

others are just fanatics that believe a console client is better. mostly for the same reasons they think windows is bad (SCREW M$#$^$&%&)

im sure there are other reaons...i just cannot fathom realistic ones. *shrug*
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:12 pm

i have nothing against microsoft, and nothing against *nix. there are benefits to both. i use windows xp on my desktop and laptop, but i use screen+bitchx because it allows me to use the same client between both and when i travel.

lets try to keep this on topic, client preference, not OS bashing/debate (that should be in off-topic, not irc clients)
In God we trust,
Zyrkon

Postby Zyrkon » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:43 am

It does exactly what I want it to do, connect to IRC, keep me connected and show me everything I personally need to see.
The most parts are right, out of this msg i only get in mirc every 12-20 hours: * [10053] Software caused connection abort
It looks like an internal mirc-bug they come on long idle-periods to me.

I'm testing every clients from mirc till blackened or text-based win clients frequently. Some are very comfortable (like mirc) but there is no way to split the screen to (above) server-msgs and the chat below it.
Others are very heavy to learn...
Personally i'm looking forward to bitchX2 hoping for a true solution of all needs.

mfg, Zyrkon
nitedog

Postby nitedog » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:51 am

you know...you could just have 2 seperate windows...and shape them to do excatly what you want...ALA server notices on top, chatting on the bottom.

mirc has the ability to look any way you want it, just requires some creativity.
clunked

Postby clunked » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:21 pm

We'd better keep this forum to constructive threads about IRC clients before this thread gets out of hand. I was somewhat curious as to the results of the poll, mIRC has quite clearly won :) But there has been some interesting discussion.

My quick $0.02:
- I think mIRC is a well written, user friendly application with powerful scripting capabiltiies (for what it is) which has been given a slightly bad name by nasty scripts.

- I prefer my console client, not because its easier/harder to use or more/less "elite", but because I can use it from anywhere without disruption at work, home, on different boxes and operating systems with screen via ssh.

- as Garion said, whatever bakes yer noodle!

- I am not "anti Microsoft"