BitchX ipv6 ssl efnet connect

Discussion of and help with popular IRC Clients.

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRC Clients Moderators

pmcpcm

BitchX ipv6 ssl efnet connect

Postby pmcpcm » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:31 am

I need some instruction on how to get BitchX configured for connecting to efnets ssl ipv6 servers.
I tried /server irc.paraphyics.net,6697 -h "hostname". It keeps closing the connection on the remote end, and connecting to eversible.net.
I haven't found much information on configuring BitchX properly for SSL ipv6.
Handle With Care

Re: BitchX ipv6 ssl efnet connect

Postby Handle With Care » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:01 am

While I am not familiar with BitchX (you will have to read the docs for that), I see several problems right off the bat:

1: irc.paraphysics.net (note correct spelling) hasn't been a part of EFnet for quite some time.
2: There is a list of IPv6 servers at http://www.efnet.org/?module=servers and eversible isn't one of those supporting IPv6.
3: Not sure why you are specifying port 6697 but support the comma delimiter isn't supported.
4: The -h switch isn't supported by EFnet.
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.
pmcpcm

Postby pmcpcm » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:43 am

The man pages are unclear as to how you assign a host to the client. Any idea what a common config file looks like for bitchx with efnet ipv6 servers (ssl)
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:08 pm

i haven't used bitchx in some years, but i would assume it's smart enough that if you specify an ipv6 server (eg - irc.ipv6.efnet.org) it will use the correct ipv6 interface. if you have multiple ipv6 ips on your client machine, -h works via command line (eg - BitchX -h mylocahost mynickname irc.ipv6.efnet.org), but i do not know if it works via /server. if i recall there is a /set you can use to set your local hostname. most efnet servers use port 9999 for SSL, use the -ssl flag on your /server to specify the connection should use ssl.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Iveyson

Postby Iveyson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:30 am

munky wrote:i haven't used bitchx in some years, but i would assume it's smart enough that if you specify an ipv6 server (eg - irc.ipv6.efnet.org) it will use the correct ipv6 interface.
Yeah, I thought this too but it doesn't, for me at least. pmcpcm do you know how to change it?
NyellBarnet

Postby NyellBarnet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:03 am

Hi I need some instruction on how to get BitchX configured for connecting to efnets ssl ipv6 servers.I tried /server irc.paraphyics.net,6697 -h "hostname".
It keeps closing the connection on the remote end, and connecting to eversible.net.I haven't found much information on configuring BitchX properly for SSL ipv6.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:29 pm

You will have to contact BitchX direct for instructons on how to use their product and other support. I am unable to locate a current list of SSL servers. You will have to check the MOTDs.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:29 pm

Addendum: ssl.efnet.org