EFnet votes in the use of oper tools

EFnet IRC Network News

Moderator: Website/News Moderators

Hardy
Site Admin

EFnet votes in the use of oper tools

Postby Hardy » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:58 am

EFnet have globally voted in the use of operspy tools so they can track down drones and abusers easier. With these spy tools global operators can see who is in a +s channel by doing /who, seeing what +s channels you are on by doing /whois and see channel keys.

Everytime a operator uses any of these tools there will be sent out a global notice to all logged in IRC operators showing who have used it and on what channel/user. This way EFnet hopes it will limit the abuse-perspective for personal gain.

You can read more about the tools and vote here: https://voting.efnet.net/pastvotes/0030.shtml
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
wundr

Postby wundr » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:02 am

As an EFNet user, I appreciate the honesty and openness of this announcement. I was beginning to wonder if that was going to be announced to people since it was voted in so long ago, and hadn't shown up on efnet.net/org.

I'm curious... you say:
Hardy wrote:Everytime (an) operator uses any of these tools there will be sent out a global notice to all logged in IRC operators showing who (has) used it and on what channel/user.
but what I'm curious about is the /whois part of that... when an oper whois's someone, will +s channels always show up, automatically? will there be a separate oper-only whois-like command, which will show the +s channels and send the global notice, or will a notice be sent every time an oper /whois's someone? has this 'feature' already been coded into the 3 ircds that are in use on EFNet, and is already active on the servers?

Thanks
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:48 am

wundr wrote:As an EFNet user, I appreciate the honesty and openness of this announcement. I was beginning to wonder if that was going to be announced to people since it was voted in so long ago, and hadn't shown up on efnet.net/org.

I'm curious... you say:
Hardy wrote:Everytime (an) operator uses any of these tools there will be sent out a global notice to all logged in IRC operators showing who (has) used it and on what channel/user.
but what I'm curious about is the /whois part of that... when an oper whois's someone, will +s channels always show up, automatically? will there be a separate oper-only whois-like command, which will show the +s channels and send the global notice, or will a notice be sent every time an oper /whois's someone? has this 'feature' already been coded into the 3 ircds that are in use on EFNet, and is already active on the servers?

Thanks
There are separate commands for regular whois and operspy whois.

The patches for all three ircds have been released. I know they're installed on umich (not used yet, AFAIK), but I can't speak for other servers.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:20 pm

Yes, the commands are something like this:

/quote !whois <nick>
/quote !who #channel

And everytime they use this command the server will send a global notice to all operators with the "operspy" flag. Who that will have these flags depends on the server`s admin as there is no restrictions for admins on who to give it to.

The purpuse of these tools is to hunt drones and abusive clients, and the global notice will limit some opers desire to just "check out what channels a friend is on".

As the vote said (barely having majority), not everyone is to happy to see this vote going through, so its use will be watched carefully.
-- Hardy
Services Administrator
q

Postby q » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:26 am

like the topic said "SPY" shame on all of you to pass it. *sigh*
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:36 am

q wrote:like the topic said "SPY" shame on all of you to pass it. *sigh*
That is a "old term" :)

However, we can not spy on conversations with this tool, only see what secret channels you are on and use a /who on that channel to see all clients in there.

EFnet -have- a drone problem, these drones are used to flood channels or to DDoS servers, we need a way to find & remove them. I doubt "normal users" will notice operspy at all.
-- Hardy
Services Administrator