irc.ac.za now taking asian clients

EFnet IRC Network News

Moderator: Website/News Moderators

munky
Site Admin

irc.ac.za now taking asian clients

Postby munky » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:15 pm

With irc.ac.za sitting at the end of the SAFE asian cable, and no objections from EU-EFnet voting body (under which .za is linked), irc.ac.za has opened it's doors to APNIC.

With no asian servers for asian users, this may come as nice quick link for many users.

http://www.safe-sat3.co.za
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:33 am

The implication that could be inferred is that irc.ac.za was previously rejecting Asian users. I don't think they much cared what race a user might be, but are now accepting users from, presumably, east of the Caucasus Mountains, north of the Indian Ocean, and west of the Pacific Ocean, plus other incidental locations, such as some Pacific Islands (not including Hawaii or New Zealand). It gets confusing. The Philippines, being islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean are not in Asia, while people in Pakistan and India are not considered Asians, but their countries are on the continent of Asia. :P :mrgreen:
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.
wundr

Postby wundr » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:24 am

Handle With Care wrote:while people in Pakistan and India are not considered Asians, but their countries are on the continent of Asia.
I would say that Pakistani and Indian people are, based on their countries' locations, indeed Asian. I would not, however, consider them [url=http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid]mongoloid[/url]. :wink:

Why do you not consider the Philippines to be a part of Asia just because they are islands in the Pacific? They are a founding member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Asian Development I'm a spammer!, and the Asian Olympic Council, and are quite close to Taiwan and much closer to "mainland" Asia than Indonesia.

(yeah, I know your post was just playing around :) , but I am curious anyway...)

Anyway, it's nice to hear that clients from Asia are accepted on another server. I am curious as to why *this* server was opened up to Asian users. I wouldn't think many (any?) Asian countries would have a direct network route to South Africa. My connection from Japan goes through the US to get to South Africa...
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:39 pm

wundr wrote:Anyway, it's nice to hear that clients from Asia are accepted on another server. I am curious as to why *this* server was opened up to Asian users. I wouldn't think many (any?) Asian countries would have a direct network route to South Africa. My connection from Japan goes through the US to get to South Africa...
as was stated in the news posts, irc.ac.za has some connectivity through SAFE, which is a fibre that links south africa to asia. if your route goes through the US to get to .za, then your host must not have any transit through that fibre.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:19 pm

wundr wrote:Why do you not consider the Philippines to be a part of Asia just because they are islands in the Pacific? They are a founding member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Asian Development I'm a spammer!, and the Asian Olympic Council, and are quite close to Taiwan and much closer to "mainland" Asia than Indonesia.
I was speaking in geological terms. In general, not all countries are located on any specific continents. Also, not all populated Islands are associated with the land masses known as continents. For instance, Japan and Taiwan are part of the continental drift of the continent of Asia; the Philippines are not.

However, all is pedantry based on a quite outmoded 19th century British division of peoples and countries. Or to quote that most articulate and famous brit, if not so honored in his own country, Sir W. Churchill, "This is pedantry, up with which I shall not put." (He also said at a dinner, "Yes, madam, I am drunk, and you are ugly. Tomorrow, I shall be sober."

Technically, since all of humanity originated on the African continent (there never having been a country named Africa), I guess that makes me an African-American. :mrgreen:

As for race, which was only raised peripherally here, we are all mixtures of all races, some more recently mixed than others. According to the Genome Project, race is just another 19th century British classification, which turns out to be completely meaningless, except possibly to a geneticist.

Anyway, it's good to see irc.ac.za being given permission by EFnet.eu to open up their I:lines and others besides those on the continent of Africa given another alternative.
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.