*.concentric.net announces delink 2. september

EFnet IRC Network News

Moderator: Website/News Moderators

Hardy
Site Admin

*.concentric.net announces delink 2. september

Postby Hardy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:30 pm

Chris "comstud" Behrens whom is the primary administrator for the Concentric servers has announced that they plan to shutdown their irc servers in two weeks.

Concentric, which has also been known as *.xo.net, has been a part of efnet since August 1995 and has played an important role on this network. It was comstud and wjr (retired Concentric admin) whom were the originators of the current chanfix services that efnet has today and the servers had an important hub function in US for many years.

We wish the best of luck to the Concentric staff and everyone whom has been involved the 10 years it has been linked to the network.

irc.concentric.net's DNS will be pointing towards their Undernet server, so be sure you update your IRC clients if you wish to remain on EFNet.
Last edited by Hardy on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:24 pm

admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:48 pm

Pills wrote:http://www.efnet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633

Got you by an hour. :p
But mine was better, and for the first time in history with less typo`s ;)
-- Hardy
Services Administrator
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:39 pm

Hardy wrote:
Pills wrote:http://www.efnet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633

Got you by an hour. :p
But mine was better, and for the first time in history with less typos ;)
Actually, I just didn't bother to fix them. ;) I did fix the one in the quote, though.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:04 am

A shame to see it go.

Change is all part of life.
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
seiki

Postby seiki » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:57 pm

I don't really think it will have any impact on the users, unless the admins of concentric/XO do a mass-collide or something equally lame before they delink.

The fact is concentric/XO hasn't been a public server in a very very long time. Only ISP's whom directly peer with concentric/XO even get a route to the IRC server. There are less than 100 users generally connected to that server, less than 0.01% of the IRC network.

I will not dispute that at one time they were a very useful group of people, but lately all I see spewing out of concentric/XO is vanity kills by it's 30+ opers.

I would have much rather seen concentric/XO become a useful part of the EFnet again by actually allowing users to connect to their IRC server and patching thier IRC hub to pass modern modes, but I can't help but think that they are bitter about losing thier 'services.xo' channel-ops hacking services server a few days ago in a overwhelming vote, and this is their response.

It's too bad, but not suprising at all.

Thank God Beige and Garion took the time years ago to code OpenChanfix from scratch, or I'm sure the network would have lost chanfix too on september 2.

-douglas
ievil

Re: *.concentric.net announces delink 2. september

Postby ievil » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:11 am

Hardy wrote: [Update: It seems their plan is to link Undernet when they leave here. They will be keeping the irc.concentric.net dns on the undernet server so unless you want your client to jump to another network you should remove it from your clients/bots]
They've had an undernet server for 7 years apparently, and they're pointing their dns to that server so that xo/concentric customers can continue to use ther providers irc services. I wish that they had not taken it away, but I'll guess we'll be seeing more of those things happening in the future...
seiki

Postby seiki » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:53 am

ievil wrote:[...I'll guess we'll be seeing more of those things happening in the future...
delinking banetele or something? sounds like a pretty vauge statement.

If servers don't want to pull their weight on the network, they probably should delink.

-douglas
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:49 am

ievil wrote:
Hardy wrote: [Update: It seems their plan is to link Undernet when they leave here. They will be keeping the irc.concentric.net dns on the undernet server so unless you want your client to jump to another network you should remove it from your clients/bots]
They've had an undernet server for 7 years apparently, and they're pointing their dns to that server so that xo/concentric customers can continue to use ther providers irc services. I wish that they had not taken it away, but I'll guess we'll be seeing more of those things happening in the future...
I thought they only had a hub there until now?

I hope/believe you are wrong there. I don’t see allot of servers leaving efnet to join other networks. Some might want to expend their irc-services to support more networks, but i doubt we will see servers delink just to jump to other networks.

And, i think most clients go by network, not server so they could have used undernet.concentric.net, but thats just how i feel. They are entitled to do whatever they want with the dns :)
-- Hardy
Services Administrator
scorp

Postby scorp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:55 pm

All drama and politics aside, its going to be really weird not seeing those servers on the network, being on efnet myself since 1995 thats been ten years of concentric ALWAYS being there heh. I think they are one of the last US servers from the 90's still on efnet arent they?
bleh.
seiki

Postby seiki » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:58 am

umich is the oldest US server, umn is a close second.

-douglas