services.xo and services.us

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

-wassup-

services.xo and services.us

Postby -wassup- » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:02 pm

what are these services? i realized there are not hybserv2 services but i am interested in them. as you probably have noticed i am not an efnet user lol.
seiki

Postby seiki » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:10 pm

services.xo IS services.us. It was renamed after neustar (the .us gTLD registrar) changed their policy, and the domain services.us was registered.

what does it do? provides some mostly useless stats, and provides the TCM bots clone reports

-seiki
Last edited by seiki on Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:00 pm

There has been talk about coding services.xo`s "functions" in services.int, so services.xo(old services.us) can retire. However, things takes time so that hasnt been done yet and i really dont see it happening anytime soon either.

As seiki said, it gives some handy stats for opers and monitor bots, beside that its quite out of date.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:30 am

Just a minor correction, it doesn't broadcast notices to monitor bots, both tcm and oomon explicitely query it.

Any user is able to
/msg SERVICES@services.xo CLONES 4
and receive the same information a tcm/oomon does (by default).

Users who are KLINE'ed for "Clones on multiple servers" are the result of services.xo's reports.

If you remember services.ca, it did a true broadcast, automatically sending a message to any monitor bot that logged into it, without it requesting the information first (beyond the initial login).
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:55 pm

ahh i meant services.int instead of services.us. what is services.int and what is oomon? is it another type of tcm bot? also are the source for these closed or open?
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:00 pm

-wassup- wrote:ahh i meant services.int instead of services.us. what is services.int and what is oomon? is it another type of tcm bot? also are the source for these closed or open?
services.int is where chanfix is hosted and where admins/opers have opportunity to jupe servers if needed. The services.int code is not public.
oomon is another sort of monitor bot, same as tcm and can be found here: http://toast.blackened.com/oomon/.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:50 pm

is there any reason on why services.int is closed source? also where could i find a copy of services.xo?
thanks,
alex
seiki

Postby seiki » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:40 pm

-wassup- wrote:is there any reason on why services.int is closed source?
that's a very good question which more and more admins are asking these days..

-seiki
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:22 am

-wassup- wrote:...snip...
also where could i find a copy of services.xo?
thanks,
alex
That's not public either.

The SERVER, DOMAIN, and HOST commands are mimiced by Hybserv2's StatServ; and those commands plus CLONES and DRONES are mimiced by Sentinel's MonServ. Both of these programs are open source but neither do everything services.xo does (as no one but the author(s) know(s) everything it does).
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:01 pm

kinda like a conspiracy theory ;)

that must be one nice work of coding though. being able to track thousands of connections and hundreds of new connections a second.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:34 am

i don't think it's quite as intensive as you think it would be

even the most populated ircd's generally sit below a few percent cpu usage on any decent machine. a large webserver can be expected to get 100,000 hits per hour, often doing server-side scripting, which is more than a simple clone check.

any computer science grad *should* (some schools aren't up to par) be able to code something that can handle the EFnet load on less than a 2ghz machine. whether that code is stable and secure is an entirely different matter.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:51 pm

comp science grad or programming major? and if any comp science grad should be able to do that windows wouldnt be as unstable/resource hungry as it is ;)
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:06 pm

there are 40 millions lines of code in windows xp (35 million in win2k). you could do a crude (or very nice one, depending on skill level) clone checker in under 5k lines of code.

and computer science includes programming. (software engineering is an entirely different matter, and discussion)

in the course of most CS degrees, you'll have to write at least 1 3-5k line program on your own, and usually one of about the same size in a group. as long as you don't do anything silly like a bubble sort, it shouldn't be difficult at all to handle a few hundred connections a second (though i don't think efnet is quite that high, servercentral gets about 1 connect/disconnect every 1-2 seconds (not counting when drone nets connect). currently we have about 3k/120k clients, so a safe guess would be 40 connections per second. on a 2ghz machine, that means each connection gets 50k cycles (ignoring system cycles), which should be more than enough.
In God we trust,
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:06 pm

what do you mean by cycles?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:04 pm

hz == hertz == cycles/second
In God we trust,