Any way to get a global list of banned address ranges?

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

ZPrime

Any way to get a global list of banned address ranges?

Postby ZPrime » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:22 am

I guess like a reverse I: listing? I'm a big IRC freak but have never taken the time to learn the inner workings of the server-side of things. I don't know the proper terminology for a banned IP range.

I ask because I have a shell (for privacy purposes) with a provider who, after getting hit with a DDoS, decided to change coloc hosts and is now at Foonet. :cry: I've found out (the hard way) that many servers have denied access from foonet's address blocks, and I am looking for a way to just figure out which servers will work, WITHOUT having to try and access each IRCd first.

Is this possible?
tabarnac

Re: Any way to get a global list of banned address ranges?

Postby tabarnac » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:47 am

ZPrime wrote:I ask because I have a shell (for privacy purposes) with a provider who, after getting hit with a DDoS, decided to change coloc hosts and is now at Foonet. :cry: I've found out (the hard way) that many servers have denied access from foonet's address blocks, and I am looking for a way to just figure out which servers will work, WITHOUT having to try and access each IRCd first.
Unfortunately, there's a few incompetent IRC admins on EFnet who thinks they are professionals, but they can't finish a verifying job.

The shell providers using Foonet's IP ranges are not listed in ARIN, so some admins will just place the ban on the whole block and go on with their life, without trying to contact the responsible shell.

The only solution I know is for your shell admin to (try to) contact each IRC server admin and declare they're responsible for their own IP ranges. In the other hand, there will always be a strong foonet-hater ircop who will once again ban the ip range regardless.

As for trying each server one by one, it's a long process, but you can find a list by doing /links once connected.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:12 pm

many servers kline foonet ranges because of past attempts to contact abuse@ have failed (or not produced acceptable results).

a list of servers is already online at http://www.efnet.info/?module=servers
you can use /admin [irc.server.name] to get the admin contact if needed.

as for the original question, you can /stats <k|K|d|D> to get lists of temp and perm k/d-lines on servers that allow non-opers to do these /stats (you have to do it for each server, there is no global list). many servers do not allow this, and be prepared to parse through a large list if they do.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:34 pm

There is no centralized list of banned IP#s. The reason? Every server has a different list.

Please make some more assumptions, tabarnac.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
tabarnac

Postby tabarnac » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:56 am

Pills wrote:Please make some more assumptions, tabarnac.
Will do. Thanks :)
seiki

Postby seiki » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:40 pm

They're banned just about everywhere for originating DoS attacks, spamming, hosting abusive lusers, attacking colo customers after they move away from them, and ignoring legitimate abuse complaints..

As the others have said, there is no central list, and many servers choose to hide the local bans from users.

-seiki
sealie

Postby sealie » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:54 am

tabarnac wrote:
ZPrime wrote:I ask because I have a shell (for privacy purposes) with a provider who, after getting hit with a DDoS, decided to change coloc hosts and is now at Foonet. :cry: I've found out (the hard way) that many servers have denied access from foonet's address blocks, and I am looking for a way to just figure out which servers will work, WITHOUT having to try and access each IRCd first.
Unfortunately, there's a few incompetent IRC admins on EFnet who thinks they are professionals, but they can't finish a verifying job.

The shell providers using Foonet's IP ranges are not listed in ARIN, so some admins will just place the ban on the whole block and go on with their life, without trying to contact the responsible shell.

The only solution I know is for your shell admin to (try to) contact each IRC server admin and declare they're responsible for their own IP ranges. In the other hand, there will always be a strong foonet-hater ircop who will once again ban the ip range regardless.

As for trying each server one by one, it's a long process, but you can find a list by doing /links once connected.
Mental note: There is already a post regarding the banfiest on Foonet's address ranges :roll:

- sealie
oper, efnet.demon.co.uk, efnet.port80.se & irc.efnet.nl
wundr

Postby wundr » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:36 am

sealie wrote: Mental note: There is already a post regarding the banfiest on Foonet's address ranges :roll:

- sealie
Why post here about a mental note for yourself? Just make the mental note or write it down or something.
sealie

Postby sealie » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:24 am

Did i say it was for myself? And the main point being that there is already a post about Foonet and its lack of support on the old forum.
wundr

Postby wundr » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:16 pm

sealie wrote:Did i say it was for myself?
that's usually what a mental note is.
And the main point being that there is already a post about Foonet and its lack of support on the old forum.
in your post, you said nothing about the old forums. how were we to know that? maybe a link would have been good.
especially when you post to a thread that's been dead for more than a couple months already, it might be good to have more of a descripton about what your point is and why it's relevant enough to bring up a long-dead thread.
sealie

Postby sealie » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:12 pm

*sigh* I'll keep that in mind, Mr :roll:
I'm sure those who cared would be clued enough to find it

Good luck on your journey hunting/flaming down the rest of the "un-linked" threads on this forum.

- sealie
wundr

Postby wundr » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:42 am

sealie wrote:I'm sure those who cared would be clued enough to find it
So, someone would be clued enough to find something on the old forums without you even mentioning that it is ON the old forums? The way your post was worded, it sounded like you were making a note for yourself that this thread exists, not refering to another thread. I think that's how most native English speakers would read your post, since you said "mental note", which is a note to yourself. I'm sorry if this wasn't what you intended, and if I didn't understand what you meant.
Good luck on your journey hunting/flaming down the rest of the "un-linked" threads on this forum.
I think you know that wasn't the point of my post.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:00 pm

ok, thats enough.

either get back on topic, or kill the thread
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.