KLINE/DirecPC

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

ClassicRed

KLINE/DirecPC

Postby ClassicRed » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:49 pm

-irc.servercentral.net- *** Banned Temporary K-line 14400 min. - repeated attempts to join juped channels (2003/9/17 11.06)
-
Closing Link: dpc6682208001.direcpc.com (*** Banned )

Im all about being banned if I've done something wrong. But I have not. DirecPC is Satellite. With Satellite you can have up to 4-5 people sharing the same IP and those people can be 100 miles away from each other. I have been banned now for Clones 2xs and now I am banned for this. I only enter one channel on efnet. I have no reason to enter any others. If there is anyway you can fix this It would be mucho appreciated. ;)

Valkyrie aka ClassicRed
ClassicRed
deww

Postby deww » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:02 pm

Within 14400 minutes, the ban will clear up. (Are you sure you didn't add an extra 0 in there?). The server you were on had "juped" the channel, which means you should not attempt to join that channel. You will get an message that says channel or nickname is temporarly not available. Don't keep trying to join the channel. I think this topic was beaten to death in another thread here. Try another server, but if you get the not availble message, don't keep trying until you get yourself banned again.
ClassicRed

Postby ClassicRed » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:28 pm

I had been away from the computer for atleast 6hrs how can I join a channel? After a million Ping? Pongs! I got this.

Ping? Pong!
-
Ping? Pong!
-
Ping? Pong!
-
You are banned from this server- Temporary K-line 14400 min. - repeated attempts to join juped channels (2003/9/17 11.06)
-
Closing Link: dpc6682208001.direcpc.com (Connection closed)

Again I only join one channel. I was already in that channel. Like I said Im all about being banned. If I did something wrong. My point is Im being banned for things I never did, and its starting to get annoying. This is why Im asking if theres anything they or I can do. Besides get another ISP because beleive me if there was a choice I would NOT be on satellite.
ClassicRed
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:00 pm

You weren't kicked and then tried to rejoin?

Also, it's possible that another process on your machine was attempting to join channels; you may want to check. I'd suggest downloading The Cleaner from http://www.moosoft.com and scanning your machine (ad-aware can also pick up some things). If the channel you're in isn't a hotbed for warez or abuse, this is a likely possibility.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
ClassicRed

Postby ClassicRed » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:34 pm

The channel Im in has a very good reputation and is popular. Its not an XDCC channel but it is a warez channel. I was able to login on a dif server and everything seems OK at the moment. *crosses fingers* No I wasn't kicked and yes my system is clean. Im pasting exactly what I see on my screen. Im basically letting you know that when you ban direcpc your gonna be banning alot of innocent people to. Because like I said you can have up to 4-5 people with the same IP. The other networks Im on are aware of this but they are also smaller networks and its easier to weed out the bad ones and the good ones. I like the irc.servercentral.net because I always get good pings and I always get online. But Im also always getting banned :P And is 14400min ban really nec? I mean WOWsa!
ClassicRed
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:51 pm

ClassicRed wrote:The channel Im in has a very good reputation and is popular. Its not an XDCC channel but it is a warez channel. I was able to login on a dif server and everything seems OK at the moment. *crosses fingers* No I wasn't kicked and yes my system is clean. Im pasting exactly what I see on my screen. Im basically letting you know that when you ban direcpc your gonna be banning alot of innocent people to. Because like I said you can have up to 4-5 people with the same IP. The other networks Im on are aware of this but they are also smaller networks and its easier to weed out the bad ones and the good ones. I like the irc.servercentral.net because I always get good pings and I always get online. But Im also always getting banned :P And is 14400min ban really nec? I mean WOWsa!
10 days is better than forever, don't you think?
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:23 pm

there isn't much we can do to allow for direcpc putting multiple people on 1 ip. the same thing happens at netcafe's.
we have to create our policies that will provide the most protection and the least problems. because of the way many drones/hacked bots work, TCM automatically klines *@host.name for repeated attempts to join juped channels.
if you don't want the problem of having a shared ip, you could try using a bnc you buy from a shell (which is still a shared ip, but is less likely to get klined for joining juped channels due to having a hacked bot).
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.