alot of auto joins

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

SIRCOOKS

alot of auto joins

Postby SIRCOOKS » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:39 pm

i have a lot of auto join channels that i have registered in my irc client for efnet, which server will continually without fail let me onto all...
wundr

Re: alot of auto joins

Postby wundr » Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:40 pm

SIRCOOKS wrote:i have a lot of auto join channels that i have registered in my irc client for efnet, which server will continually without fail let me onto all...
what is the problem you are having? that the max channels is too low on the server you are trying, or are you flooding off from trying to get names lists from too many channels at once? if it is the first, then you need to find another server (most allow a lot of channels these days, at least 20, and many allow 35 or 40... if this still isn't enough for you, you may have to load up a second IRC client). When you connect to a server, look for a line like this (from irc.limelight.us):

??? STD=i-d STATUSMSG=@+ KNOCK EXCEPTS INVEX MODES=4 MAXCHANNELS=80 MAXBANS=100 MAXTARGETS=5
NICKLEN=9 TOPICLEN=120 KICKLEN=120 are supported by this server
??? CHANTYPES=#& PREFIX=(ov)@+ CHANMODES=eIb,k,l,imnpst NETWORK=EFnet CASEMAPPING=rfc1459
CHARSET=ascii CALLERID ETRACE WALLCHOPS are supported by this server

This means that irc.limelight.us will allow you to be in up to 80 channels at once. That should be more than enough, I would think.

If your problem is being disconnected from the server for "Excess flood" or "SendQ exceeded", you could make a script to join some channels, wait a bit, and then join more of them... an example is in this thread in the old forums (archived on this site): http://www.efnet.info/oldforum/cgi-bin/ ... 41&start=1