#howardstern spam

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

god

#howardstern spam

Postby god » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:41 am

Is anyone else sick of the movie spoil spams from these lamers?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:42 pm

movie spoil spams?
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:46 pm

Y'know, someone goes to see a new movie, and then, for some unknown reason, joins the channel and ruins it for everyone.

The maturity level of this is astounding.

Anyway, if you see someone doing it, /stats p their nick, find an active oper, and get them K:lined.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:25 pm

Pills wrote:Y'know, someone goes to see a new movie, and then, for some unknown reason, joins the channel and ruins it for everyone.

The maturity level of this is astounding.

Anyway, if you see someone doing it, /stats p their nick, find an active oper, and get them K:lined.
Hrms.. i would find that more of annoyance then anything. Note sure I would kline people who spoil movies for people, unless they were some kind of bot.

I might talk to the person, but I think policing child like immaturity such as this is probably best left to a channel ban?

Just my feeling..

Channel bans are probably more effective anyway as the person could just get on another server and go back in and spoil it for someone else.

Just my opinion though..
Not those of my server or anyone elses.

I can think of better things to waste server memory on then klining someone who spoils movies...
Like klining the massive amounts of drones since people cant be bothered to read up on how to keep a computer in working order.
Efnet Operator..
RIP *.qeast.net I'll miss you! :(
Auriga is qurves slave! (is a Forum moderator)
lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:43 pm

well its too late for a channel ban, after they've come and spoiled the movie.... cause they just go on to the next channel and the next and the next and spoil it for them. so i really see no probably with a temp kline... cause to me its like spam.
and unless you make a sticky ban in a bot, or have bots that never remove bans, even when someone is banned they can often spam/spoil/or whatever faster than they can get kicked/banned by a bot.
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:14 pm

lucy wrote:well its too late for a channel ban, after they've come and spoiled the movie.... cause they just go on to the next channel and the next and the next and spoil it for them. so i really see no probably with a temp kline... cause to me its like spam.
and unless you make a sticky ban in a bot, or have bots that never remove bans, even when someone is banned they can often spam/spoil/or whatever faster than they can get kicked/banned by a bot.
But how will a kline solve this? They will just move to the other server, and be more angry and just come back into the same channel or other channels.

Do you suggest a gline for a movie spammer? Should we also kline folks for going into a channel and telling them "this channel sucks" simply because someone might feel they will do it to another channel?

I don't see irc operators as police enforcers, but rather peace maintainers, and server maintainers.

I think i just have a different view on what klines are good for...

Of cource we're all entitled to our own opinions. I certianly wont argue if someone places a kline on a movie spoiler..

I just think.. for myself, talking to the person doing the spoiling might do more good then a kline will.

If you talk to them, and it stops them from being an ass because they know were "watching" them, it might stop them from jumping servers, or going into another channel.

They might even respect just that much more..

That's just my opinion.
Efnet Operator..
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:31 pm

auriga, i think the way some people are looking at is is not the fact they're spoiling movies, but the face they are joining (i'm guessing) dozens, or even hundreds of channels and pasting these 'spoilers'.

movie spoiler or not, if i saw someone join/paste/part in several channels i was in, i would consider it a spambot, and kline if it was on my server. while it may not be an 'advertisement' per say, it is unsolicited, and being sent en mass.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Jepp

Postby Jepp » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:15 pm

i say we just packet the crap out of them, thata will teach them a lesson :)
People expect more from a kid named Jepp. Jepp's not just a name, it's an idea!
tabarnac

Postby tabarnac » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:47 pm

Auriga wrote:But how will a kline solve this? They will just move to the other server, and be more angry and just come back into the same channel or other channels.
jump to another server which does not support g-lines, then use another compromized host to continue the job...

Just jupe their lame channel already!
aSe

Re: #howardstern spam

Postby aSe » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:56 am

god wrote:Is anyone else sick of the movie spoil spams from these lamers?
Its from one of there old ops, he uses several nicks like "Ballin"

I'm an op in a chan this kid has been hitting with the spoiling. From what we can tell is he lost his ops rescently got kicked out of that chan and he is trying to get back at them. He uses many many different proxies making it imposible to ban him.

A friend of mine tried to get ballin's real host g-lined but, he was shot down by another oper. Constant abusers on efnet, don't get banned everyone else does :P
wundr

Postby wundr » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:32 pm

aSe wrote:A friend of mine tried to get ballin's real host g-lined but, he was shot down by another oper. Constant abusers on efnet, don't get banned everyone else does :P
What would getting his real host g:lined do? Like you said, he has tons and tons of open proxies to abuse, so he'll always be able to get around the g:line. i have no information on this specific situation, but that could be why someone didn't want to do the g:line...
aSe

Postby aSe » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:15 pm

What would getting his real host g:lined do? Like you said, he has tons and tons of open proxies to abuse, so he'll always be able to get around the g:line. i have no information on this specific situation, but that could be why someone didn't want to do the g:line...[/quote]

the g-line was going to be simply on his roger's host, his real ip. True it wouldn't completely stop him. Idea is tho, he chats and everything using the normal host, this would disrupt it and at least cause some incovience of forcing him to use the few servers that don't support g-lines.

Can't block proxies, why not block him? :)
Auriga

Postby Auriga » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:00 pm

munky wrote:auriga, i think the way some people are looking at is is not the fact they're spoiling movies, but the face they are joining (i'm guessing) dozens, or even hundreds of channels and pasting these 'spoilers'.

movie spoiler or not, if i saw someone join/paste/part in several channels i was in, i would consider it a spambot, and kline if it was on my server. while it may not be an 'advertisement' per say, it is unsolicited, and being sent en mass.
If its a spambot doing this.... If it joins channels on mass and appears to be "automated".. That's a different story..
But if its just one looser causing trouble in a set few channels, like what appears to be happening here.. I don't think it warrents a kline. Only in my opinion.

That's what I thought was happening .. or what my take on this was. I believe in my orignal post, i did state that spambots.. or an automated process doing this is quite different then some arse trying to "get back at a channel"

That being said, seeing as this guy uses proxies, and such, and its impossible to keep the guy off efnet from those servers that do not use proxy scanners, so.. whats the point?

Bother those servers he uses to get proxy checkers instead, and then ban the guys normal IP on the channel.

This is.. as they admitted to... afterall a channel issue .. the guys is pissed that he lost ops.

Imagine if every user complained to us about someone "getting back at a channel" ...

I am a reasonable person, and will hear out anyone when they have a problem, but I do check the facts, and I do try not to stick my nose where it does not belong.

Opers dont belong policing a channel unless its our own. :)

Just my opinion of course.
Efnet Operator..
rudegyal

Postby rudegyal » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:13 pm

16:08] * towongfu (suksant) has joined jamaica
[16:10] <towongfu> ********************************************[16:10] <towongfu> .
[16:10] <towongfu> owned by #howardstern
[16:10] * towongfu (sukant) has left jamaica
:evil: :oops:

i dont think its a few selected jamaica dont got nuttin to do with howard stern
hes been doin it to my channel for a while , out of time woulda been a good movie
Last edited by rudegyal on Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
prefect

Postby prefect » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:33 pm

rudegyal wrote:
16:08] * towongfu (Administra@*) has joined #jamaica
[16:10] <towongfu> ********************************************[16:10] <towongfu> .
[16:10] <towongfu> owned by #howardstern
[16:10] * towongfu (Administra@*) has left #jamaica
:evil: :oops:

i dont think its a few selected jamaica dont got nuttin to do with howard stern
hes been doin it to my channel for a while , out of time woulda been a good movie
10 read forum rules
20 edit out hosts
30 echo done

edit: editing out host (do'h)