oper spy bots

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

oper spy bots

Postby 3597 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:03 pm

you guys keep asking how can efnet get more users and yada yada yada. well one way would be if channels were -s. but these days if you have a -s channel you get those stupid oper spy bots joining your channel ALL day long. if i keep any of my channels -s for a 2 hour time frame i will have had at least 4 of those annoying bots join no less then 2 times.

you might get more channels opened up if it wasn't for them, i know i locked up 7 of mine just because of them. ravenking/chillx/^axl/jynxed..

anyway you opers can get these bots to tone it down a bit? i know they are for good use but i think they are being overused.
GorylasaW

Postby GorylasaW » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:11 pm

i agree with idlez, they're aggravating. is there a way to get them to not cycle our channels? or get one to cycle the chan, not 7 different ones heh

Postby 3597 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:32 pm

see.

[09:29] -!- pikupossu (danielwxy@pD9F99215.dip.t-dialup.net) has joined #xxxx
[09:30] -!- Sweetish (Sweetie@clj6-170.dial-up.arnez.si) has joined #xxxx

these bots are freakin insane.
phisher1

Postby phisher1 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:33 pm

I also agree. At 1st I told people to STOP banning them because they were for a good cause... This was before 4-5 anti-spam bots joined all my -s-p channels a dozen times a day. This is so god aweful annoying. My policy towards them now is ban on site. You've created trolls with spoofs.

Please either A) remove these bots, B) have some sort of system for registering to opt-out of their "protection", or C) at least tone them down

Oops.. excuse me.. need to go ban Sweetish..

Alright.. yes please.. do something. If these bots were ran by ANYONE other than opers, they would have been glined already.

GIVE US, US FREE!
Last edited by phisher1 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillSmith

Postby WillSmith » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:33 pm

I most definitely agree with idlez and reaper. The point which i would like to make is, do you guys really need the bots to cycle the channels that quickly? For someone new to EFNet, firstly people message others, and you message a bot you are klined or what/ever. It's pretty annoying.

Postby 3603 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:38 pm

btw, youre not klined for msging them.. youre klined for inviting them..

anywho.. yes.. i hate them too.. and if it carries on, i will be forced to write a note of my suicidal thoughts, make it clear that efnet made me insane with the stupidity of their bots cycling my channel.. just kidding..

but seriously, you guys already do the drone check when connecting to a server.. which i know doesnt stop majority of the bogus users.. if opers are so lazy to do their job why are we being punished to have random bots cycle our channels and then you wonder why ircers get so mad and take actions into their own hands.. pft.. haha okay im rambling.. have a nice day

Postby 3604 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:39 pm

I certainly agree with everyone complaining about the OPER bots. They have become nothing more than a nuisance. Please tone these damn things down a bit.
Segmented

Postby Segmented » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:42 pm

I also agree, yes the server isn't ours but we have to have some form of privacy. What good is it if everyone spies on everyone? Are we big brother? Please let's calm the spying bots down a bit. Thank you.

-- nullity was here.
scriptx

I disagree

Postby scriptx » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:55 pm

It's these bots that help keep EFNet different from other networks. EFNet has never imposed any services or registration mandates to be a user.

While these bots can get annoying, any decent chanop can look for, and set banmasks, to alleviate this issue.

- These bots usually have the same CTCP FINGER reply, (spamtrap@crazy), making them easy to identify.
- Most of these bots don't have a legitimate domain name or hostname. It would be unlawful for EFNet to spoof a real hostname as the originating point for one of these bots. Not forgetting IPv6, if a hostname resolves as 0 and it's not a server side spoof.. ban.

These bots really are to our advantage, we just get angry at the cycles. I think a good resolution would be a new channel flag, or a rule to coexist with an old one, which the bots would see and adhere to, ignoring that channel but keeping the channel in a /list, unlink the +s solution.

Postby 3597 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:10 pm

i know that the bots do good. however to have mass cycles from them is annoying. also having to ban them all day is REALLY annoying. now if we leave our bans, our ban list gets filled. which is also annoying.

also, allowing users set a flag to have their channel exempt from these bots defeats the purpose of the bots does it now? i think they need to tone down these bots or remove them. i'd much rather they just tone them down because they are helpful when needed, but they only come in when they aren't needed.

also, the getting klined for inviting them is retarded. most people have no clue what those bots are. i'm against mass inviting but when some new kid comes on irc trying to make a channel and just gets klined all day for trying to get a channel going do you think he is going to be happy with efnet?

since i wrote the first post i have seen 11 of those bot cycles.

Postby 3603 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:41 am

hahahaaha if i was a oper and i read this shit.. i'd make more bots.. just to piss everyone off more..
:twisted:

Postby 3597 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:02 pm

i think they might of listened to you duckie. i'm getting 2 times the amount of spy bots joining now.

grrrr.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:32 am

CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY!!! THEY ARE ALL SPYING ON US!!!!11123$%^ OMGWTFBBQLOLZ

the bots do not monitor or log userlists or channel activity. the only thing monitored is privmsgs sent directly to the bot. the bots are there simply as anti-spam measure.

if you feel you can monitor your channel for spam/trojan bots yourself, simply contact an oper and ask them to have your channel removed from the list (yes, it is possible. if the oper in question doesn't know how, ask nicely that they request it from a spamtrap admin).
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.

Postby 3597 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:42 am

haha, ya segmental is a bit paranoid.

anywho.. thanks for the info, i didn't know i could stop em. that rocks!
jilles

Postby jilles » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:09 pm

Perhaps there should be a better way to select channels for the spamtrap bots, there is no use having them join/part a channel without spambots all day. However only people who are in the channel for a longer time tend to know whether the channel has spambot problems. An automated or semi-automated way to request spamtraps or no spamtraps could be useful?

The spamtrap bots are definitely a good concept, better than what many other networks do.