efnet changes

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

efnet changes

Postby 4510 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:38 pm

I have been on efnet since 95. I never did like the nickserv and chanserv on other networks. If they came to efnet I would probably stop IRCing.

Personally I think half ops is an insult to someone. It says " I don't trust you enough to be an op, but you can clean up the crap for me". I would leave a channel if they offered me half ops. I think longer nicks would be better also. Not necessarily 25 or 30 characters, like some other nets, just a few more than 9 to expand the vocabulary a bit. The ban list could be a little higher, or even unlimited for larger public channels. More caring opers might be a thought also. When I see someone complain to an oper and the answer is "go to another network if you don't like it asshole", kind of rubs me the wrong way even tho its not me complaining. And no I can't give you specifics right off the top of my head, but I have seen it happen in the past. Treat others as you would like to be treated works wonders I hear.

A help channel for efnet in general, run by opers, or long term users to help newbies and others would be nice. One where they actually talk to you and try to help. Channels like #help and #chanfix don't really help anyone. Idle central channels. I don't get involved with the techie stuff as a lot of you do here, talking about server side this and that, and coding. Thats for the pros who run efnet behind the scenes. It amazes me how they keep it running so smooth.

Oh, one last point. Why is everyone in the upper oper end of efnet so dead set against even mentioning warez? Everyone goes anal and some channels even ban people for asking how to download or share stuff. They did in fact build a DCC ability in mirc to transfer files to others, so I really don't care what they send, and you shouldn't either. I know for a fact that some of the people (just channel ops, not opers) who kick users for asking about warez, themselves download and share from bittorrent or limewire or private ftp sites. Kind of hypocritical in my humble opinion. Efnet is the best net out there as far as me and my wife are concerned, and it might need just a teenie bit of tweaking, but on the whole it is still fun and entertaining, and even educational, because we have friends all over the globe that we get info from. Man I gotta learn to keep these things short.
deww

Postby deww » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:39 am

Well, I'd like to state that the people in #help do offer help. The channel is very active, most of time, and all types of questions are answered all the time. It is by no means active 24/7 anymore. It used to be a lot more active, but times have changed. It isn't, however, an EFNet specific help channel, but those of us who put time in there do help with questions about IRC, especially in regards to EFNet specific questions. I'm not sure who you are and under what nickname you lurk in the channel as, but my guess, and I am probably wrong, if you asked a question and didn't get the help you expect, you either asked an inappropriate question such as being related to warez, or simply no one can answer your question.

Now as for #Chanfix, the opers there only assist with stable channels that have become opless due to one reason or another. It really isn't for other questions.

Having said that, I do agree with the idea of having some more "authoratative" help channel with more opers contributing. #help has some opers, but not really all that many that are active, but a few of those that do pay attention there once in a while do contribute.
Osc

Postby Osc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:47 pm

I'll take the warez question =]

Lets put a request for help with warez into context.
If I went into Wal*Mart and asked them on which isle I'd find tool to assist with shoplifting or burglary, what sort of reaction do you think I would get? In fact, can you name any public place where ligitimate and non-ligitimate things are offered? This needs to be a place you trust to have reliable things, whatever these things are.

On irc, no one that offers trustworthy help will help with warez. You should be very suspicious of anyone that offers help with warez because they will probably try to get you to install a trojan on your box so they can make use of your computer.

As far as warez on the network... I'm not looking for it.
As far as chanfix and warez... I don't care what happens on a broken channel. I see chanfix as a method of fixing broken channels, not broken non-warez channels.
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.

Postby 4510 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:21 am

haha.. yes sure, compare irc to walmart. thats a lame way out. i bet you paid for every piece of software and music on your computer. jeesh this is just what i wa scomplaining about the holier than thou attitude that we get from people.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:50 pm

did you actually read his response?

he never said he didn't use any pirated software (whether he does or not i don't know). he just said they don't answer warez related questions in legitimate channels. do you go to #c++ and ask about visual basic, or #linux to ask about your windows 2000 problem? ask the right questions in the right places.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
phisher1

Postby phisher1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:36 am

Hi,

I'm phisher1 on EFnet

I've been on EFnet steadily since 95 and helping in #help since 2000.

As a fellow op in #help, I'd like to agree with everything that deww said. #Help offers help on topics that are known about by our regular helpers, channel ops, server ops, and just everday "just stopped in for some help and ended up staying a few hours to help a dozen people" users.

The channel isn't fully stock with advanced users in all topics at 4AM UTC -6 sure... But #help offers more help than any other help channel I've frequented over the years, on a 24/7 basis.

We have several regular channel ops and server ops that frequent the channel. Most of them actually help too. =) We also have several regular non-op helpers. So basically, things stay trucking in there about 21/7

I would like to know your nickname though if you are familiar with the kind of traffic we see in #help as I keep logs and stats for #help

As far as the nickname length increase.. sure I wouldn't mind seeing more chars. I personally wouldn't be using them, but if it keeps a quality user on EFNet rather than a rat invested network, those of which will remain nameless, I say hell ya!

My general view towards helping anyone with warez is...
Warez.. Bah, you want warez.. figure it out kid.

(Not implying that you yourself are a kid or young or even old, not refering to you at all)

In #help especially, we have rules against helping with warez. If a nice kid comes along in another channel looking for mp3s.. I might say go check out limewire or whatever.. but if they are looking for warez that some of us may be experienced with.. they are on their own. I reserve the right to know nothing.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:08 am

#irchelp is another useful general help channel, usually staffed by opers and other experienced ops. /list sometimes works too.
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.
webdawg

Re: efnet changes

Postby webdawg » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:51 am

I remember back in the day when efnet had a massive amount of warez channels it seemed like the servers where DDOS ed alot. Then efnet servers left and it took a while to collect more servers. I think thats when the channel ban hammer came down and warez started really becoming taboo in more and more places.

Also remember the p2p irc fserv and xdcc client bottler? that fucked alot up cause it made irc warez even more accessible to the public and fan boys started to realize that irc exists.

Warez is for torrents and usenet now.

Peace