Drone qualification?

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:06 pm

1) "5 on the same ident" does not say how many there were total, which you have avoided answering for several posts
2) users bots on shell providers do not all sit in the same channel, and therefor do not attract the attention that a large botnet does
3) when did i abuse power? it wasn't me that klined your botnet. you asked a question as to why they would be klined, and i tried to answer with a best possible guess with the limited information you are providing.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
evil

Postby evil » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:12 pm

Have you ever been in a shell support channel?
wundr

Postby wundr » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:23 pm

evil wrote:How about reading the original posts, I said " a maximum of 5 on the same ident".
However, you never did say how many bots there were in total, even though you were asked multiple times. You only said a maximum of 5 on each ident... how many idents? 20? If so, that would make 100 bots.
This is going nowhere in an attempt to cover up abuse of power.
Whoa whoa... I don't think there is some big conspiracy here with opers plotting specifically against you. I highly doubt that opers sit there on a server and say "hey! there's a user trying to build a botnet... I think I'll fuck with him and ruin his innocent fun!!!!" Also, the fact that you received bans on multiple servers by multiple opers/bots seems to show that it isn't abuse of power that you are seeing (unless it was the same oper on all of the servers where you received bans), but rather an actual violation of server policies.

I think the reason that you aren't getting an answer here is that no one here knows. We didn't ban your bots. This is not the place to get official policy answers, and this is not the place to lodge complaints against specific bans/opers/servers. These are forums on an unofficial site about EFNet. A couple opers on other servers (who were not the ones that banned your bots) told you some things that might make them place similar bans on their servers, which is valid information (whether it applies to your situation or not).

What would be best would be to contact (via IRC and via email) the server opers and/or admins of the servers that you received your bans on and politely inquire as to why your bots received bans and what you could do differently to stay in line with that server's policies.
No need to spew more garbage about this, I'll just restrict my users from connecting to efnet which is sad on my part
That is sad, both for you and for your users. It seems that, as a responsible admin, it would be better for you to go through the proper procecdure to resolve issues you are having receiving bans on servers rather than just complaining to people who have no control over those bans.
Makes a person long for the day of July 11 2001.
Huh?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:54 pm

evil wrote:Have you ever been in a shell support channel?
if you must know, yes. i have run a shell server with a support channel in the past. we required only 1 bot to maintain that channel.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
evil

Postby evil » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:00 pm

I apologize if I have offended the sensibilities of the forum by asking the forum to defend the indefensible. I didn’t think I was asking about “policy” because I checked each server policy before posting in here and concluded that it wasn’t a policy issue because I did nothing against the policy so I thought it was an issue of the “norm”. I’m sure I wasn’t singled out for abuse it’s much more widespread than just me and my incidents. July 11 2001 was a day of reckoning and I remember a tremendous feeling of retribution.
wundr

Postby wundr » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:24 am

evil wrote:I didn’t think I was asking about “policy” because I checked each server policy before posting in here and concluded that it wasn’t a policy issue because I did nothing against the policy so I thought it was an issue of the “norm”. I’m sure I wasn’t singled out for abuse it’s much more widespread than just me and my incidents.
Then what do you expect people here to do? What do you want to accomplish by posting here? (keep in mind that this is not the proper way to inquire about specific bans on specific servers or by specific opers)

I realize your original post was asking about the definition of a "drone" as it is used on EFNet, so, from reading the responses of others in this thread, I would probably say that the answer to your question is "there is no network-wide definition" and "it varies".