Questions ...

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Beams

Questions ...

Postby Beams » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:48 pm

I'm brand new to this. I found efnet because of a security newsletter sent from vulnwatch.org by a guy running a site in uk. Is this network designed strictly for hardboiled code writers, and serious balck/white hats? I've been in IT for about 4 years now and I'm finally breaking down and taking some time to learn some actual code for databases. I really admire the intellects of people who have the kind of dedication to learn languages and use them. I'm starting with VB but I want to get into C++ eventually. How long does it generally take to learn enough to be good? I see a lot of reference to buffer overflows and that seems to be a common attack. Could someone here explain to me (laments) how that really works? Do overflows occur in memory? If so how do you know which address to start/end at? Are these dumb questions?
We are material design for the coming architecture.
corrupt
Site Admin

Postby corrupt » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:02 pm

EFNet is not a code-only IRC network. While EFNet does contain channels for help with programming, there are many other topics and types of channels on EFNet. For programming specific questions, I suggest that you visit these channels on EFNet instead of posting in this forum which is just a general topic forum for our network. Thanks :)
Josh Baird
[corrupt]@EFNet
O: irc.choopa.net
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:09 am

EFnet is one of the top three chat networks in the world. If you go on, you will likely be able to find channels with topics that interest you. While it's possible that you could find answers in some of the people that post on this board, your best bet would be to post in the off topic section.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
gelmitom

EMC Login

Postby gelmitom » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:52 am

How and where do I get a Login for EMC?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:21 pm

general users don't yet have a need for a login to EMC. in the future, EMC will definitely have uses for opers/admins, and there may be features for regular users as well. i believe qurve is/will be working on integrating EMC and forum logins so they are one and the same.
for now, you can simply disregard it.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.