Idle times,

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Govvy

Idle times,

Postby Govvy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:33 pm

are servers allow to turn this off?

I thought every EFnet server had to have this on, I just seen one server that had it turned off, I was woundering if that was right?
@IRChelp - Stay and help, I will!
prefect

Postby prefect » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:56 pm

welcome to EFnet where no servers has to do anything, not even what they should do according to admin-votes.
Beige

Re: Idle times,

Postby Beige » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:31 pm

Govvy wrote:are servers allow to turn this off?

I thought every EFnet server had to have this on, I just seen one server that had it turned off, I was woundering if that was right?
As a response to a regular WHOIS <Nick> (e.g. /WHOIS Johnny) you will typically only see an idle time if the user is on the same server as you (in this simple form, WHOIS will simply query the local server's database for information, and the idle time on the remote server is not part of the local user database).

You can, however, use a more advanced query in the form of WHOIS <Nick> <Nick> (e.g. /WHOIS Johnny Johnny). This will query the remote server the user is on for WHOIS information, and this should also return the user's idle time (and any other information available in a local whois on that server).

If you did perform the latter action, and still received no idle times, it'd be interesting to know which server it was (in theory, I don't think there is an actual requirement for servers to support this, but since it's a useful feature on a network of lots of permantly connected users, it'd be silly not to).

Best Regards,

Beige
Govvy

Postby Govvy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:53 pm

Beige, it was ircd.nac.net - but they have seemed to have reactivated the idle time.

*shrugs*
@IRChelp - Stay and help, I will!
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:33 pm

Beige wrote: You can, however, use a more advanced query in the form of WHOIS <Nick> <Nick> (e.g. /WHOIS Johnny Johnny). This will query the remote server the user is on for WHOIS information, and this should also return the user's idle time (and any other information available in a local whois on that server).
actually, to be more specific, it's:
http://www.efnet.info/?module=docs&doc= ... #sec-4.5.2
Command: WHOIS
Parameters: [<server>] <nickmask>[,<nickmask>[,...]]

if <server> is a nickname, it will use the server that that user is on. so, in theory, i could /whois beige netmunky if i wanted to see what i looked like to you, or /whois ircd.nac.net netmunky to see what nac thinks of me.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Beige

Postby Beige » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:06 am

munky wrote:actually, to be more specific, it's:
http://www.efnet.info/?module=docs&doc= ... #sec-4.5.2
Command: WHOIS
Parameters: [<server>] <nickmask>[,<nickmask>[,...]]
I stand corrected! Well elaborated.
Tibar

Postby Tibar » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:53 am

The ping timeout is also secondary to the sendq. Servers that have low sendq's for the general clients will have earlier timeouts etc. The longest ping timeout right now is irc.inet.tele.dk . I guess this would be one of the better servers to keep your nick :) (that is the real basis behind this question right :)... You should always use the server that is the closest route to your machine. This will also eliviate some of the misconstrued ideas about ping-timeouts and such.

-Tibar- AIXIT/GATEL

If they were to turn this off, everytime you went idle or your connection lapsed at all you would be dropped from the server....
wundr

Postby wundr » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:27 am

Tibar wrote:The ping timeout is also secondary to the sendq. Servers that have low sendq's for the general clients will have earlier timeouts etc. The longest ping timeout right now is irc.inet.tele.dk . I guess this would be one of the better servers to keep your nick :) (that is the real basis behind this question right :)... You should always use the server that is the closest route to your machine. This will also eliviate some of the misconstrued ideas about ping-timeouts and such.

-Tibar- AIXIT/GATEL

If they were to turn this off, everytime you went idle or your connection lapsed at all you would be dropped from the server....
I don't think he was talking about ping timeouts. I think he meant that ircd.nac.net (a hub server, so there wouldn't be many clients on it anyway) wasn't returning idle times on a remote whois query (tho, apparently, it is now). The clients were idle, but the server wasn't returning that idle time when it was queried for it.