Question regarding abuse condoned by server admin

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Justin

Postby Justin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:43 am

Hi All,

I just want to say I have been an EFNet user since 1997 and I have never once had an issue where I ever e-mailed an oper or admin to complain. I always handle internal issues on my own. However I had a question to pose. Recently I have seen abuse by a couple individuals controlling several hundred drones and spam bots not just in my channel but several others on EFNet. We have developed many scripts to stop this but they always seem to find work arounds. We have logs of these individuals admitting to controlling the drones. This was done to these channels for no reason whatsoever, honest truth. The worst part about it is these individuals have spoofs on an EFNet server. They have also used the spoofs to engage in banned activity. When presenting the issue behind closed doors to the select server admin it was swept under the rug, and even condoned and laughed at it somewhat.

My question is this: If a server admin is found to be unethical and not looking out for EFNet's best interests, is there a process to report this kind of inappropriate behavior? With so many servers on EFNet I am sure you all agree there are always a few bad apples even though most are great. I don't think here is the place to spew out specific details but I just wanted to know if there was a process on reporting that or someone you recommend contacting. If we take the bad apples to task I'm sure we can clear things up and make it a lot better place.

Thanks All

Justin
munky
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding abuse condoned by server admin

Postby munky » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:13 pm

There's no governing body or policy regarding abusive admins. All you can do is contact another admin and report it to them.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
evil

Postby evil » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:31 am

Justin,
If you've been on efnet that long you should be familiar with the fact that there are a lot (not all) of corrupt ircops. In order to get anything done on efnet you have to be creative and take off on your own. You can't depend on any authoritative figure on efnet. I have seen ircops sitting in the same channel as drones and doing absolutely nothing. I have also sent questions to a server admin via email and had the email sent back by their own server as spam because in the email I included the name of his/her server. Like I said earlier, you can't depend on any efnet ircop, be creative, take things into your own hands and do whatever it takes to correct the situation and/or punish the abusive user and/or the server the abusive user is on. After all, if you can't get the admin to take action I feel anything is fair and justified.

Bring on the flame.
vx0

Postby vx0 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:16 pm

What you feel, and what is right, are far different concepts. Your advice is idiotic.
Thanks
evil

Postby evil » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:57 pm

I made multiple assertions and points and your "generic" response was to call it "idiotic"? It seems I have made my case.
Thank "you".
chicago

Postby chicago » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:32 am

You cant make such suggestions to admin or moderators.They are doing their duty wonderfully.
prz

Postby prz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:09 am

vx0 hit the nail on the head.

You can not generalize 'all' IRC Operators as being one way. And what you feel may not be acceptable, another may view it differently. That's a part of IRC. If you feel something is wrong, and you have taken it up with the Server Admin responsible, with nothing in return. Try the co-admin (assistant admin), a local operator (not the one in question), or a Server Admin of another server.

Eventually, you will find somebody willing and able to take action, if in fact, something was done wrongfully.

IRC Operators face a difficult job at times. Trying to satisfy 30-50K users can be tiresome. And you'll always have some that are unhappy, no matter what. So, don't be so quick to judge or generalize. Just try a little harder, it'll get sorted.

prez@EFnet / prz@EFnet.Forums
prez@DALnet / prez@DALnet.Website
prez@EFnet / prz@EFnet.Forums
prez@DALnet / prez@DALnet.Website
Charlesevege

Postby Charlesevege » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks for the update Donna Im been doing positions on a hup with my 8 month old Rottweiler and am starting them with his mother for her FR1 this Fall. Ive seen some French Ring Training but am totally new to the sport. Good to know whats working or not working. Keep us posted..