Question of the day

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Would you like to see channelmode +e on EFnet ?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:58 pm

Yes
92%
No
No votes
Huh ?
No votes
I dont care.
8%

Total votes: 25
Hardy
Site Admin

Question of the day

Postby Hardy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:58 pm

Would you like to see channelmode +e on EFnet ?

Channelmode +e stands for exception, which makes certain user!identd@host excempt from the banlists in a channel.

For example if you have banned *!*@*.aol.com but still would like your friend Peter peter@ACCBEBFB.ipt.aol.com to be able to join the channel you could set mode +e *!peter@*.aol.com and he would go thru the ban.
qurve
Site Admin

Postby qurve » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:00 pm

Assuming all servers were running it, I do not see why not. This woud allow us to ban say: *!~*@*, but still exempt nick!~friend@without.ident It seems like a handy feature to me. It just requires that all servers have it enabled. I say yes though.

-qurve
EFNet Web Lackey, and IRCop
corrupt
Site Admin

Postby corrupt » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:29 pm

I agree with qurve. This would have to be a network-wide modification - which would probably be hard to accomplish considering there are still servers which do not honor G-lines :/ I think it would be a great idea however.
Josh Baird
[corrupt]@EFNet
O: irc.choopa.net
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:36 pm

corrupt wrote:I agree with qurve. This would have to be a network-wide modification - which would probably be hard to accomplish considering there are still servers which do not honor G-lines :/ I think it would be a great idea however.
If chanmode +e ever would be "official"it would be after a global vote. Some servers tried to implement +e "the wrong way" a year back or so but failed, so i know some servers still has it enabled (homelien atleast).

The diffrence from G-lines is that it has never been globaly voted in. Europe voted in G-lines for their region in September 2001 before global voting was operational and some US servers started to follow. It took quite a while until all hubs outside of europe allowed G-lines to pass thru their servers.

Right now there is only a few servers left that doesnt honor G-lines ( Easynews and Prison? )
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
Disciple

Postby Disciple » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:32 pm

+e/I would mean I'd have to update my client/script... the horror!
Disciple@EFnet
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
strikelight

Postby strikelight » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:38 pm

Can we start a vote on chanmode +d as well? :o

Code: Select all

|_______|_________|
[/color]
- silence isn't golden when i'm holding it inside -
ZyreX

Postby ZyreX » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:26 am

And +d is ?
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:59 pm

ZyreX wrote:And +d is ?
+d is a channel ban on the realname. Would be usefull when it comes to banning drones with same realname like "0wn3d bY h4RdY" or a annoying user that doesnt realize that his realname is banned, not his user@host 8)

And while at it, i want channel mode +c so we can strip away he color shit.
-- Hardy
Services Administrator
wundr

Postby wundr » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:24 pm

Hardy wrote:And while at it, i want channel mode +c so we can strip away he color shit.
i`m not sure if that was sarcasm or not. don`t you think that color stripping is best handled by individual clients rather than by the server? that is something that is EASILY handled by a client, and is already implemented by some/most clients. Banning based on gecos, or exceptions isn`t nearly as easily handled by a client. Although the effect of +d could be accomplished via a script that /who`s clients on join, and +e effect could be handled by a script that has a shitlist, but doesn`t apply it to certain hosts, the limited number of bans allowed in the ban list prevents this from working well.

Personally, I`d like to see +e, and I guess +d could maybe be helpful for drones.
Gozem

Postby Gozem » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:30 pm

While at it, it would probably be a nice thing to raise the number of modes (+b, e+, +I) a channel can have from 20 to something like 50. It wont use that much memory. And will help channels to protect them slef from floodbots etc.

Also increase the topic lenght. csbnet.se (former hemmet.chalmers.se) has had 255 chars in lenght (from the default 120) for over a year. Any longer topic will just be cut on other servers. Again it doesn't seem to consume that much more memory. We got much faster and larger servers today than for 3-5 years then these limits was choosen.
oper, irc.csbnet.se
Gozem

Postby Gozem » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:39 pm

Gozem wrote:While at it, it would probably be a nice thing to raise the number of modes (+b, e+, +I) a channel can have from 20 to something like 50. It wont use that much memory. And will help channels to protect them slef from floodbots etc.
Sorry maxban it 25 today. Its still to low.
oper, irc.csbnet.se
seiki

Postby seiki » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm

Gozem wrote:While at it, it would probably be a nice thing to raise the number of modes (+b, e+, +I) a channel can have from 20 to something like 50. It wont use that much memory. And will help channels to protect them slef from floodbots etc.

Also increase the topic lenght. csbnet.se (former hemmet.chalmers.se) has had 255 chars in lenght (from the default 120) for over a year. Any longer topic will just be cut on other servers. Again it doesn't seem to consume that much more memory. We got much faster and larger servers today than for 3-5 years then these limits was choosen.

There is currently a measure making it's way around which will add chanmode +e, +I, and will raise the channel's max banlimit dramatically.

Prolly be a few weeks until we know if it has enough support or not.

-douglas
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:39 pm

i'd like to see a chanmode +z that would keep oz and all oz related behaviour out of the channel

;)
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:22 pm

munky wrote:i'd like to see a chanmode +z that would keep oz and all oz related behaviour out of the channel

;)
/mode #channel -oz :roll:
-- Hardy
Services Administrator
prefect

Postby prefect » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:34 pm

Hey. You're completly wrong. All servers does not have to support it.
As long as the hubs support it leafs can do as they want. Homelien has had +e enabled since the dawn of time and has been to pleasure for a lot of users for a long time.

Enable it on hubs, ban *!*~@* all you want and let clients who need to make use of a exemption use an examption enabled server. The more, the merrier.

Admins: don't wait for the hype, enable +e on your server now.