Getting unjustly K-lined by a server bot

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

What do you do when K-lined for being a drone?

Ignore the fact that you were K-lined. Shit happens, after all.
23%
Contact an oper of the server you were K-lined on and complain.
23%
Send an email to the server administration of the server you were K-lined on.
No votes
Join #efnet.org and start yelling that server X is such a shitty server.
No votes
Packet the hell out of the server that dared K-line you.
5%
Decide that EFnet sucks and go to a different network.
No votes
Run a virusscanner. Perhaps I am infected with a virus or trojan.
5%
Run a virusscanner. Oh, and contact the server administration about this incident.
27%
Something else, or a combination of the above. Please clarify.
18%

Total votes: 22
Garion

Getting unjustly K-lined by a server bot

Postby Garion » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:54 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering about something. Many servers have lots of server bots which do automatic K-lining if they detect clones, drones, hacked boxes, whatever. Say you're chatting happily and suddenly your connection is closed by such a bot, with the reason "Drone infected" or something similar. What would you do then? Do you ignore the K-line and just move on to the next server? Or do you contact the administration of the server on which you were K-lined?

Regards,
Joost / Garion.
prefect

Postby prefect » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:23 pm

since im running a decent os there would be no chance for this to be anything else than a false positive and i would contact an ircoperator on the server in question to have the kline removed.
Osc

Postby Osc » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:42 pm

Over the last 7 years I've been contacted once per year (average) about invalid restrictions. And about as many times about valid restrictions.

Over the same period, I've probably told people to /stats p at least once a day. I have no idea what happens to these people, or if they just ignore this suggestion. <shrug>
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
Dario

Postby Dario » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:54 pm

I have not run accross this as a problem either. I do not IRC from my personal computer. I use a shell account.

If I was running an IRC client from my Personal PC and was K-Lined with a message about trogans I would assume the detect bot knew what it was checking for and would start to clean my machine prior to making any contact to an IRC server administrator.
Member DNRC
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:10 pm

i just try a crapload of different servers until i find one that doesnt have me klined. usually i dont agree with bots that kline a user for joining a juped channel once. those kinda piss me off.
Rage

Postby Rage » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:40 pm

this had actually happened to me recently. Not sure why, not sure how, but an open proxy was found on one of my linux servers by servercentral. No big deal, I ran down the list of servers, went on one which i wasn't klined on, and emailed servercentral's admin about it. They were more than happy to fix the situation for me, and the whole thing was fixed within hours.
0versight

Postby 0versight » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:43 am

I remember about 4 years ago, I had tried out epic and I tried the /op command which asked me for a password? I couldn't figure it out, but the software was trying to make me an irc operator and I got fucked over by an irc operator I believe on he.net (A few hours after I read some irc documentation and started doing /mode)

I kept asking them to remove the ban but they never listened, I told them that I was using epic and I didnt know what the /op command specifically did, on other clients it would just op the person in the channel right.....after a few times I gave up asking the irc ops to remove the ban and used another server.
IRC is how I deal with reality.