Open Proxy Ban and Dynamic DNS

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

kungfoo

Open Proxy Ban and Dynamic DNS

Postby kungfoo » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:33 am

Recently i got K-Lined several times because my current IP was blacklisted. The problem is, that my provider (German Telekom) cuts the line every 24 hours, so i get a different IP every day, which could possibly be blacklisted. I don't know how long an IP is kept in the blacklists, but i guess if they are kept a long time, after several days more and more IPs get blacklisted and soon nobody on my network could use irc on efnet anymore :)
If i'm right, the KLine policy on efnet should be changed.
dawg

Postby dawg » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:36 am

If anything, your ISP is the one who should change abuse-policy. "Blacklists" are kept for a good while, and if you're one of those that doesnt do jack, I'd recommend you to get a shell somewhere, with a static host.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:26 pm

the time it stays depends on the blacklist. read the policy of the blacklist in question (http://openrbl.org/lookup?i=##.##.##.## insert your ip)

also, most blacklists have a process for removing your ip from the list.

also keep in mind, there is no efnet kline policy. policies are set by the individual servers. only gline policies are global (and not all servers are required to support glines)
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:29 pm

my IP range was in a blacklist that dated back to early 2003. My ISP didnt even exist back then and i had to go through a few automated emails to get it removed.