Servers that don't scan for proxies?

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

ALbino

Servers that don't scan for proxies?

Postby ALbino » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:33 pm

Hey all,

For the past few weeks my channel and other channels have been getting spammed relentlessly by a kid using different proxies. In coordination with several ircops and a server admin we've been trying slowly to find each one and gline it, chipping away at the problem in the process. My question is, to the servers that don't scan for proxies, why?

The majority of servers seem to scan for proxies just fine, but there appears to be a few holdouts that aren't doing it. In particular NAC and Avalon seem to get the most use from this spammer and his proxies. Is there a practical reason that I'm not aware of for not scanning? Some sort of huge overhead or bandwidth increase that I don't see? I guess I just don't understand why everyone doesn't clamp down on this problem and be done with it once and for all. Any info or opinions would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:58 pm

Avalonworks is running a BOPM proxyscanner which grabs alot of proxies every day, and we run the same setup as most other servers on EFnet.
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
deww

Postby deww » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:13 pm

It is not that servers don't scan for proxies. It is that there's no definitive list of every known opened and abusable proxy out there, so realistically, it's near impossible. However, keep in mind that server admins do try the best to keep any type of abuse off from their server. It's not their fault people do not secure their computers.
ALbino

Postby ALbino » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. Is there a preferred method to report the proxies that are being abused? Contacting an ircop is prohibitively difficult as most don't bother to respond and when they do they're generally too late to take action on the problem or they want to witness the abuse firsthand.