EFnet server in Norway

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Corse

EFnet server in Norway

Postby Corse » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:21 am

Hi there.

Me and the company http://www.host1.no have planed to create an IRC Server.
What do we have to do for linking to EFnet?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:31 am

In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Corse

Postby Corse » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:41 am

What is the changes of that an new irc server will be linked?

50 - 50 ?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:53 am

I assume you mean 'chances'.

it all depends on how well you fill out your app, how much NOC support you have, and how much bandwidth you have. it also helps to have the support of a current admin from your region. i don't know EU policy, but i believe this is a requirement for US applications.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Corse

Postby Corse » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:55 am

Who will i contact for more information? And when i'm redy to query link, who do i contact?
Osc

Postby Osc » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:44 pm

When you think you are ready, do what it says on the link application:

==
If, after reading these guidelines,
you feel that the EU-EFnet routing committee should consider linking your
server, cut out the application at the bottom, respond to each
of the questions and email it to the EU-EFnet secretary
<secretary@irc.pp.se>.
==

As for who to contact for more information, we won't know untill you ask a specific question. =]
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:33 am

Corse wrote:What is the changes of that an new irc server will be linked?

50 - 50 ?
If you want an honest answer i would say not good. The reason for that is that Norway allready have 3 norwegian server, irc.daxnet.no ( Tele2 ), irc.banetele.no ( Banetele ) and irc.homelien.no ( Powertech ) and there isnt really a need for a new one right now... I would say its probably 95% sure that it would not get accepted, and not because of the server but because we dont need it right now :)
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:26 pm

why is efnet so worried about regions? honestly it does not make much of a difference for me where the server i'm on is located.
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:52 pm

-wassup- wrote:why is efnet so worried about regions? honestly it does not make much of a difference for me where the server i'm on is located.
No one is worries about regions. The reason we have them is to divide the responsibility for servers. All the regions normally handle are linking and delinking of servers, nominate hubs and decide ways to route the network.

One of the reasons EFnet still has it is to have smaller voting groups who handle "their local domain". This is because we belive that each region understands the "local network" better then whats across the pond :)

We dont want US to decide what servers we are to link in norway and they dont want a admin from norway to decide what server to link in washington...

Depending of server coverage and location we also demand diffrent ammouth of bandwith and network when looking at a new server. If a server wants to link from russia we wouldnt require a minimum of 3 gbps while we might do it if its a central US server, and because of that we have diffrent applications

Perhaps its a bit outdated, but the way it is today is something all the regions seems happy with, so why would we change it? And why would you care anyway, its just our way of dividing work tasks internally.
-- Hardy
Services Administrator
wundr

Postby wundr » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:37 am

Hardy wrote:If you want an honest answer i would say not good. The reason for that is that Norway allready have 3 norwegian server, irc.daxnet.no ( Tele2 ), irc.banetele.no ( Banetele ) and irc.homelien.no ( Powertech ) and there isnt really a need for a new one right now...
Hardy, I could be wrong, but didn't you used to say that more servers is better, regardless of how many we currently have? That we never know when we might lose some servers, so it's good to have as many quality servers as we can? I could be remembering someone else saying that, not you, so I could be wrong. Sorry if that's the case.

Or, are you not saying that that is your opinion, but would probably be the opinion of the majority of those that vote in that region?
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:02 pm

wundr wrote:
Hardy wrote:If you want an honest answer i would say not good. The reason for that is that Norway allready have 3 norwegian server, irc.daxnet.no ( Tele2 ), irc.banetele.no ( Banetele ) and irc.homelien.no ( Powertech ) and there isnt really a need for a new one right now...
Hardy, I could be wrong, but didn't you used to say that more servers is better, regardless of how many we currently have? That we never know when we might lose some servers, so it's good to have as many quality servers as we can? I could be remembering someone else saying that, not you, so I could be wrong. Sorry if that's the case.

Or, are you not saying that that is your opinion, but would probably be the opinion of the majority of those that vote in that region?
You are right, and i still feel that way. However there is a limit of whats "needed" in one country, and linking a 4. norwegian server when most other european countrys only have one or less seems to be a bit overkill.

I would rather see us consentrating on servers in areas who isnt coverd allready, like Italy, Germany or France.
-- Hardy
Services Administrator