Accessed denied to WebChat ???

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

traveler

Accessed denied to WebChat ???

Postby traveler » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:45 am

What happened?

I shut down WebChat a couple days ago and the next time I tried to use it to access IRC I got the following message -

*** Access Denied: Found in DNS black list dnsbl.njabl.org

What is this all about? I have no problems accessing any channel on EFnet with any other web portal or IRC client. Only when I try to use the EFnet WebChat portal.

What do I need to do to get this working again?

:?:
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:19 pm

We have recently added open proxy blacklists to chat.efnet.info to keep out many of the spammers that have been trying to use the service to get around bans and proxy scanning.

Most likely, someone who had the IP you were using was an open proxy and got listed. If it happens again, you can look up your IP at http://www.njabl.org/lookup.html and request removal, or simply disconnect from the internet and reconnect to get a new IP.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
traveler

Postby traveler » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:45 am

Thanks for the info munky.

I just disconnected my DSL line from the net and got a new IP. The first two sets of numbers in the new IP are the same and the second two sets of numbers in the new IP are way different. But nonetheless, I still get the message ---> *** Access Denied: Found in DNS black list dnsbl.njabl.org <--- even though my new IP is quite different. I again disconnected and then tried my dial up modem. The dial up connection has no problem with access to Webchat so the problem is definitely not something here.

How do I request removal if my IP changes? I do not have a static IP.

This is not good.

:cry:
orange1

Postby orange1 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:25 pm

if you look up your IP on the URL munky provided, it will give you a link to request removal of the IP from their blacklist. it's possible that some other user on your ISP has an open proxy, and has been getting every IP they've been using blacklisted. that's another headache alltogether.
traveler

Postby traveler » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:20 pm

I have sent e-mails within their e-mail parameters requesting that my IP be removed from the list. So far they have been ignored.

What can be done?

:!: :?: :!:

:x
traveler

Postby traveler » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:23 am

It took them a few weeks but all works fine now.

Thanks for the help.

:D