efnet webchat access

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

seiki

efnet webchat access

Postby seiki » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:47 pm

hello again fellow efnetters.

I've recently set up an IRC web portal at http://chat.efnet.info/ , useful for quickly getting on EFnet from anywhere.

To curb potential abuse of this service, the real IP of the user becomes the username@ in hex. It also appears in the realname gecos.

So, if you see someone abusing this web chat, you can simply ban their username@*.*, and report their hex key to any operator.

Server access is currently limited to ServerCentral for max performance.

enjoy,
seiki
deww

Postby deww » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:42 am

Neat. I just tried it out. It works pretty well. Really handy to have. Too bad it doesn't work with links or lynx. :)
Hwy

Postby Hwy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:55 am

deww wrote:Neat. I just tried it out. It works pretty well. Really handy to have. Too bad it doesn't work with links or lynx. :)
It works in reasonably current cvs versions of elinks. It doesn't work exceptionally well but it's something.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:42 pm

it should work in any browser that supports iframes. lynx and links don't even support frames (when going to a framed webpage, it prompts you on which frame you want to load). i'd be curious to know how well this works in wince devices with IE (some wyse terminals can boot straight to IE with no terminal server needed, but doesn't support java)
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
clunked

Postby clunked » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:34 pm

It seems to sort of work with links-hacked, tabs baby!

I've used CGI:IRC before, useful for getting around the firewall at work. I found it was quite resource hungry, even with mod_perl, you'll have to see how it goes on the server depending on the spec and number of users.
seiki

Postby seiki » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:42 am

clunked wrote:It seems to sort of work with links-hacked, tabs baby!

I've used CGI:IRC before, useful for getting around the firewall at work. I found it was quite resource hungry, even with mod_perl, you'll have to see how it goes on the server depending on the spec and number of users.

I've it running on a dual GHz FreeBSD box which I use for special EFnet projects.. I've yet to see CGI:IRC use much CPU.. It was the cleanest webchat interface I could find, short of ones which required special plugins. (ie, java).. Overall I think it works pretty good :)

-seiki
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:06 pm

Hi seiki, I have been trying to contact you, anyway, I think you should lock down chat.efnet.info a bit more as atm you can make it connect to any network and join any channel etc.

The config should look something like this:

default_server = irc.efnet.us
default_port = 6667
default_channel = #efnet.org
default_name = http://www.efnet.info
default_nick = EFnet???
default_user = www
quit_message = http://www.efnet.info
quit_prefix = http://www.efnet.info
script_nph = nph-irc.cgi
script_form = client-perl.cgi
script_login = irc.cgi
image_path = images
socket_prefix = /tmp/cgiirc-
vhost = 64.202.114.81
encoded_ip = 3
allow_non_default = 1
allow_non_default = 1
access_channel = *
access_server = *
admin password = [CHANGE THIS]
format = mirc
interface timestamp = 1
interface smilies = 1
interface font = Fixedsys
interface shownick = 1
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
clunked

Postby clunked » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:06 pm

HM2K wrote:Hi seiki, I have been trying to contact you, anyway, I think you should lock down chat.efnet.info a bit more as atm you can make it connect to any network and join any channel etc.
When trying another server/network, such as irc.freenode.net:

*** Access to that server is blocked
*** Welcome to CGI:IRC 0.5.2
*** Looking up irc.efnet.us
*** Connecting to irc.efnet.us [66.150.99.99] port 6667

I don't see being able to join any channel a problem. I myself and probably a lot of other potential users would have little use for it if this was the case. Channel ops can ban anyone using it easily enough anyway...
seiki wrote:I've it running on a dual GHz FreeBSD box which I use for special EFnet projects..
I had it running on both a 100mhz and 400mhz slackware linux box. heh, I think you're setup wins for performance :D. Since then i found a hole in the firewall at work which allows ssh to slip through :wink:.
seiki wrote:It was the cleanest webchat interface I could find, short of ones which required special plugins. (ie, java).. Overall I think it works pretty good
Thats what I thought, also the java clients connected directly to the ircd.
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:33 pm

And no, the default channel should NOT be #efnet.org.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
Nitallica

Postby Nitallica » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:20 pm

Hi there!

I have someone who is abusing your service, and am wondering ... should I contact any server op, or can I contact someone here?
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:08 pm

Nitallica wrote:Hi there!

I have someone who is abusing your service, and am wondering ... should I contact any server op, or can I contact someone here?
type /admin [name.of.server] to get an admin contact for the server the abusive oper was on.

while there are many opers on this forum, it is not a required forum for opers/admins to participate in, so should therefor not be used for contacting on official terms.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Nitallica

Postby Nitallica » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:37 pm

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for the reply!
seiki

Postby seiki » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:10 pm

Nitallica wrote:Hi there!

I'd contact a server op on irc.servercentral.net, which is the server that hosts the efnet webchat service. You can contact them via email at irc@servercentral.net. Be sure to include a full log, with timestamps.

-seiki